The best part of having chickens

Chickens are amazing. I love watching them. I live in the Philippines and my mother owns a number of rice fields and yeah that's a perfect place to raise chickens. We have tropical climate here and yeah that's perfect for the chickens. Everyday, I go to the fields to feed, clean and watch them and yeah that's relaxing and makes me happy. Everyday, I sit under the mango tree watching the chickens do their daily thing. It calms me down. I guess I will post some of my chickens' pic here.

I love the feeling of 'home' they present.... My Nana and Papa (grandparents on dads side) ran a working horse farm for as long I could remember... When their health declined they had to let it all go save a 2acre plot but until the day she pasted last year my Nana tended her chickens... Not many now a days remember what milking a cow or collecting eggs and veggies to cook with is like... I thank God that they thought me the love of these simple pleasures that I can now pass to my kids... (As long as that stupid rooster will stop attacking them :smack ) bad bird... I will need to replace him this season...

My oldest has begged for chickens since he was 2...but my memories of being pecked by old hens in a 100+ degree coop as a child tasked with gathering eggs whenever I visited my aunt (not to mention the gander who terrorized me there) made me hesitant. That's an understatement--I was terrified of those birds. I finally caved last year and we picked up silkie chicks from a feed store--my son had been reading about chicken breeds on the internet and that was what he wanted.

I didn't realize how much fun they would be! They are soft, little fluff balls who wouldn't dream of pecking anyone--not even my youngest whom I've caught zooming around the backyard with one like it was a toy fighter plane. They come when we call and follow us around the backyard talking softly to tell us all the latest news. And the eggs! My boys get so excited about finding an egg (which happens daily) that it works as an incentive for them to get out of bed in the mornings which is a huge improvement over pre-chicken days.

But my favorite part is just watching my oldest with his "peeps". He's taught me the joy of having chickens:

And now I want more!

I would say that for me, the best part of having chickens would be that they always make me smile and laugh! Ours are so friendly, they come running to anyone that ventures into the yard. They meet people at their car doors. They have to call us in the house to come out to distract the chickens so that they can get out of their cars without stepping on a chicken! They love people. I know that for the most part it is because they are expecting a treat, but sometimes they follow me around the yard while I work. Just keeping me within 5 feet of them, watching what I am doing. Sometimes I go out and dig around under the leaves/mulch and look for worms for them. They all gather around and squeeze themselves under my nose right where I am digging, occasionally looking up at me like "Well? Where's my worm?" I like listening to the little contented sounds they make while I am doing this.

I love watching them when they are first let out to run the yard. They are so funny when they run flapping their wings.
D.gif
They make a B-line to the garden against the foundation of our home. They have little chicken-sized moon craters all around the foundation where they love to dirt bath in the dry dusty soil on the south side of the house where it is warm from the sun. They dust-bathe and then lay there with their eyes closed soaking up the sun's warmth.

My mother and sister think I'm nuts I'm afraid. I always tell them stories about the chickens (with a big smile on my face), some story that I think is funny or cute. They just don't get it. We, my husband and two kids and I, just love them. I'm always astounded at how much I truly enjoy them and care for them. Much as I care for our cats and horse. We initially got them for tick control with the added benefit of the eggs. Now I can't imagine our farm without them!

One thing I have to say that I really don't enjoy about our chickens is the poop!
sad.png
We free range, and it's everywhere! I feel ashamed to tell our guests to take their shoes off when they come into our home, but what can you do when the poop is everywhere?

Well, I guess that there has to be some bad when there is so much good when it comes to the joy of having chickens!
love.gif

My flock have become my friends. Also i have MS and it's very helpful to be able to go out and do some real chores outside and visit my friends.My wife thinks it's cool.Only thing i don't like is this past hatching season i received 6 roos and only 3 hens.It has gotten worse. The first season 1 roo. And i have notice the meat eating racoon out here by us. They will pull a whole chicken right thru the little 1x1 slats in the kennel.I also have a house for them but I had to separate some roos. I cried when this happened. Also have wolves and all the other things around here too.

Oh No! So sorry to hear of your tragic loss of your chickens! We have a coop that has an automatic door that closes it up at night. During the day our hens have access to the chicken pen that is enclosed with chicken wire and bamboo poles spaces about 2 inches apart. We let them out into the yard during day when weather allows.

We also have problem raccoons. They get into our garbage cans, which aren't far from our coop. I hope that they haven't been trying to get into the coop at night too. We have tried to live trap them but it always seems to figure out how to open the door up and get out. We have been having trouble with hawks. We also have a family of Bald Eagles living in our area. We are always on alert for something trying to fly off with our hens.

Chickens are "feel good" animals, aren't they?
wee.gif

We have a nice coup it cost around 1800 but still not really up to date.We have lost many birds over the years. Possible count maybe around 18 of them. We also let our chickens roam around too. But when they have no where to hide they are defenseless. Also a while back we had a Egyptian rooster . Was very good at detecting. But he would always lead them in the woods over and over again where we would lose the birds quite a bit. You would think he would learn. Also just the chickens being in the yard if i'm not out there with them,I had 1 day we have 4 taken by hawks. Then one day i had 2 wolves in the yard. They were about to pounce on my best friend Larry my rooster. I chased after them,i thought after.It was a dumb ideal,but they would have been dead otherwise.

It's nice to have company when you have chores to do, and they don't scream at you when you don't do what they want. They like to accompany me to the mailbox so I try to get them to stay in the yard with treats.

It's nice to have company when you have chores to do, and they don't scream at you when you don't do what they want. They like to accompany me to the mailbox so I try to get them to stay in the yard with treats.

IDK about that - my girls are not shy about voicing their opinions of my work, lol.

Back
Top Bottom