The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

I have another question, is there a precursor to crowing that I can watch for? Some sort of behavior, posture or noise that could tip me off beforehand? No cockle doodle doos yet, but I've got my eye on that Marans. When do hackles grow in typically?

I have another question, is there a precursor to crowing that I can watch for? Some sort of behavior, posture or noise that could tip me off beforehand? No cockle doodle doos yet, but I've got my eye on that Marans. When do hackles grow in typically?
When they try to crow they'll stretch out their neck and breathe in as much air as their little lungs can hold. I'm not sure when hackles come in on a Maran's but I'd say about 4-9 months is when they should start showing for typical roosters .

Mine just started crowing a few weeks ago (3 roos out of 9 chicks). So far it is kind of weak, not really enough to bother anyone & does not quite sound like a typical crow. Don't know yet if it will strengthen/change with age or if it is just the way Aussies crow.

I don't have much experience with roos. I just sold the first roo I've ever had. Hatched him myself in December and he started crowing at 12 weeks. The day before he crowed I definitely noticed him stretching his neck out and then he opened his beak as if to make a noise but nothing came out. The very next morning I heard him crow. It definitely was not the cockerel a doodle do that an older rooster does but it sounds quite different from the hens. And once he figured out he could do it boy was he practicing. We had him 4 days after he started crowing and then had to sell him because i was afraid my neighbors would complain and Im technically not allowed to have chickens. Now I have 5 more chicks I'm waiting to know what they are. Fingers crossed no more roos! Good luck with yours.

Ooh thanks Renee572, that's really helpful. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I might have been dreaming (nightmare) but I could swear I heard a rusty little squawk last night. I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for the tip!

I don't have much experience with roos. I just sold the first roo I've ever had. Hatched him myself in December and he started crowing at 12 weeks. The day before he crowed I definitely noticed him stretching his neck out and then he opened his beak as if to make a noise but nothing came out. The very next morning I heard him crow. It definitely was not the cockerel a doodle do that an older rooster does but it sounds quite different from the hens. And once he figured out he could do it boy was he practicing. We had him 4 days after he started crowing and then had to sell him because i was afraid my neighbors would complain and Im technically not allowed to have chickens. Now I have 5 more chicks I'm waiting to know what they are. Fingers crossed no more roos! Good luck with yours.
Aww was it Peppermint?

Aww was it Peppermint?
sadly, yes it was. We renamed him Pepe'. Peppermint didn't seem to fit him anymore. His buddy Chickadee (hopefully a pullet) has been a bit lonely. I feel bad for her. She doesn't quite fit in with the babies but I'm afraid to put her in with the big girls. We bought her so Peppermint would have a buddy but now she's the one that's lonely! :(

sadly, yes it was. We renamed him Pepe'. Peppermint didn't seem to fit him anymore. His buddy Chickadee (hopefully a pullet) has been a bit lonely. I feel bad for her. She doesn't quite fit in with the babies but I'm afraid to put her in with the big girls. We bought her so Peppermint would have a buddy but now she's the one that's lonely! :(
Aww that's too bad, was so hoping peppermint was a pullet for you. Fingers crossed for you that Chickadee is a pullet
1f425.png

Aww that's too bad, was so hoping peppermint was a pullet for you. Fingers crossed for you that Chickadee is a pullet
1f425.png
thanks, I really think she is but I have had a few people tell me otherwise.
Here's a pic of Pepe' and Chickadee the day before he was sold.

Back
Top Bottom