The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

Here is some more enabling...

Casey and Latte have completely mastered the pool ramp and can come and go as they please. Allie can't yet. Her legs are strong enough now to walk all day and to run at least 70' at a time. But climbing is a bit of a challenge still. She'll get it... In the meantime, there is still one kiddie pool in the yard so Allie can swim when she likes and when we are around and her sisters are in the big pool, we will put Allie in with them. She really enjoys it.

Here Casey and Latte went and joined Tevye in the big pool. After Casey kicked Tevye's butt, he acknowledged that she was above him and they have gotten along famously. Tevye is the only duck I have regularly seen all three of the babies with. It was the same when Noir and Mystique were babies. Tevye does seem to have some pervy designs on Allie, but she is bigger than he is so he might not know she is just a 'ling. Anyway, he isn't too aggressive about it and she can just swim away saying, "no thank you."

In contrast to Tevye's non-aggressive pursuing of Allie, I saw one of the funniest things of my life yesterday when we let Kaine out on parole (he is getting better and is often out for nearly an hour before he has to go back in jail). Kaine decided that he wanted a little action from Pocahontas. For some reason Pocahontas was having none of that (she is usually pretty willing). So out of nowhere zoooom shooting past me is Pocahontas and Kaine. Pocahontas is running for all she is worth swerving left and right as she ran, and Kaine is riding on her back holding on her neck with his bill, one foot in the middle of her back, and his other foot hopping along the ground on the side like he was riding a skate board or a razor on X games.
lau.gif
This went on for at least 50' (then they disappeared behind the pool and I couldn't see them.) Ducks do the darndest things...

Edit: Also in the news with Kaine yesterday... When we let him out, normally the first thing he does is make a bee-line for the big pool. Well yesterday he got halfway up the ramp and Casey came from inside the pool and walked up to the peak of the ramp. Kaine stopped in his tracks... He looked at Casey. Casey just stood there. He turned around and walked back down the ramp and never went into the pool the whole 1-1/2 hours he was out (Casey got out of the pool 5 minutes later so he had a free pool available most of the time.) The only action between Kaine and a duckling the whole time was he walked near Allie and looked at her, she quick stepped a few feet away from him and he let her be. So although friendships haven't really been made yet (with the possible exception of Tevye), the entire flock (all 15) are getting along. Even Latte has calmed down for the most part.
OH my word Tony. I love this. All of the things going on are incredible and really cute to me. Obviously the duck birds are adorable but their actions. I love how Tevye and the 'ling adolescent girls all get along. I laughed at your comment about Tevye being 'pervy' towards Allie. And speaking of her legs, will they in time be able to get stronger so that she can actually climb? I am glad she has built up more endurance.

I am fascinated by the way Casey has completely dominated the males. How is she towards all the other woman ducks? I mean, other than her sisters. Was there something in her body language or eyes that caused Kaine to retreat? Or does he know that she is top burd now and just avoids her?

I bet the vision of Pocahontas and Kaine was funny. You're so right about ducks and the things they do.

That is too funny. You know your flock so well. I just love that buff color on ducks. Looks like how I drink my coffee, or as my husband calls it, my liquid candy.
Why we named her "Latte"
wink.png
It's funny because when they were little everyone who came to see them thought that Casey was "Latte" because Latte was white and Casey was brown. Now Latte looks like latte
big_smile.png

OH my word Tony. I love this. All of the things going on are incredible and really cute to me. Obviously the duck birds are adorable but their actions. I love how Tevye and the 'ling adolescent girls all get along. I laughed at your comment about Tevye being 'pervy' towards Allie. And speaking of her legs, will they in time be able to get stronger so that she can actually climb? I am glad she has built up more endurance.

I am fascinated by the way Casey has completely dominated the males. How is she towards all the other woman ducks? I mean, other than her sisters. Was there something in her body language or eyes that caused Kaine to retreat? Or does he know that she is top burd now and just avoids her?

I bet the vision of Pocahontas and Kaine was funny. You're so right about ducks and the things they do.
I am sure Allie will be able to do the ramp. Snow could do it no problem and being outside where she can walk and run has made Allie much stronger. She just needs to figure out the ramp.

Casey is great toward all the girl ducks and behaves how she should at the top of the pecking order. As a truly strong duck, she doesn't need to threaten or posture so she is actually the nicest duckling to all the other ducks. If they cross her eating or foraging path, they might get a little peck to remind them that she is top dog but she doesn't threaten or chase them. Latte is a scaredy-butt so she is always posturing and Allie is nervous and pecks everybody (the girls).

There was nothing in Casey's manner that caused Kaine to retreat. It was the fact that he has engaged her at least 7 times in battle and gotten his butt handed to him every time. Kaine is a tough bird, but he is used to other birds backing down or running away. He hasn't been in a prolonged fight before Casey. I am sure that if they fought to the death that Kaine would win. He is bigger and stronger. But Kaine just wants to fight for dominance... Casey is "all in" ready for that fight to the death. So after repeated attacks, Kaine finally runs away in shame. Casey is a crazy woman and will never give in. Casey only beat Tevye up 3 times that I know of and he now shows her respect and she likes him and hangs with him. Kaine still acts as ruler of the flock and stays away from Casey. He may yet challenge her again. So far he is not "good" with her being the leader, but he also doesn't like to get beat up.
gig.gif

Casey & Kaine

Last edited:
It was bound to happen... Add together the following facts:

* Kaine periodically gets out on parole.
* Kaine's #1 destination is the pool.
* Kaine thinks he is a god in the pool.
* Casey and Latte can now climb the ramp into the pool.
= Kaine thinks his size, weight and strength might give him an advantage in the pool against his new 2 month old arch nemesis: Casey. Kaine is WRONG
gig.gif

I let Kaine out on parole, and I can usually hear somebody complaining if he is violating his parole. Greta squawking if she is being chased, the whole flock squawking as Tevye plows through them when he is being chased. This means I was able to get some work done even though Kaine was out. Then I heard another now recognizable sound. The sound of Casey when she is protesting. I turned and there is splashing in the pool. I run over to the pool and Kaine had tried to attack her in the pool. Of course I only got there in time to get my phone out and catch the end of it, but here is Kaine getting his butt handed to him for the 8th time (that I know of) by Casey.
roll.png

Not on the ground,
Not in the sky,
Not while at rest,
Not on the fly,
You will not beat her in a duel,
You will not beat her in a pool,
You will not win, her pride's at stake,
You will not beat her Kaine, the drake.

These are in chronological order and I think they need no further narration...

Last edited:
Miss a couple days and all the fun stuff happens! :lau

Love the vision of the duck razor... and the silent acknowledgements of bad@$$ duckiness...

But those pics are epic! Wonderful action shots (love the one where Casey has Kaines head underwater) and the expressions! The frog march up the ramp... and is that Roxy at the top? I swear she is saying under her breath 'I TOLD you not to go in...' :gig

I think if Casey ever met Crash it would be a draw to the death... they even have such similar coloring, lol... nice to know I am not alone in having that one Crazy Duck... :D ;)

*you should see 50 Calls parting like the Dead Sea for tiny little ducklings for fear of the Crazy Duck Wrath* :gig

Last edited:
Miss a couple days and all the fun stuff happens! :lau

Love the vision of the duck razor... and the silent acknowledgements of bad@$$ duckiness...

But those pics are epic! Wonderful action shots (love the one where Casey has Kaines head underwater) and the expressions! The frog march up the ramp... and is that Roxy at the top? I swear she is saying under her breath 'I TOLD you not to go in...' :gig

I think if Casey ever met Crash it would be a draw to the death... they even have such similar coloring, lol... nice to know I am not alone in having that one Crazy Duck... :D ;)

*you should see 50 Calls parting like the Dead Sea for tiny little ducklings for fear of the Crazy Duck Wrath* :gig

Wow, now that sounds....... Interesting...... I think those 'lings could probably thumb (web?) their bills at the adults and get away with it! :gig
-Banti

Casey is something else. I'm so glad she is going after the bully and winning.
Kaine needs a good butt whipping and Casey is perfect for it since she isn't a bully herself. She is nice to any duck that doesn't attack her or block her from food.

Miss a couple days and all the fun stuff happens!
lau.gif

But those pics are epic! Wonderful action shots (love the one where Casey has Kaines head underwater) and the expressions! The frog march up the ramp... and is that Roxy at the top? I swear she is saying under her breath 'I TOLD you not to go in...'
gig.gif

I think if Casey ever met Crash it would be a draw to the death... they even have such similar coloring, lol... nice to know I am not alone in having that one Crazy Duck...
big_smile.png
wink.png

*you should see 50 Calls parting like the Dead Sea for tiny little ducklings for fear of the Crazy Duck Wrath*
gig.gif
The head under water pic (along with the one before it for perspective) are my favorites. That is Rhiannon on the top. The fight would only happen if Crash actually attacked Casey. If she just postured and looked crazy, Casey would probably let it go. I would hate to see Casey in a battle where she has a size and weight advantage <cringe>. You MUST get a picture of the parting of the Calls
lau.gif

Love the rhyme & the pics!! Is that Allie looking up from under the ramp?

They grow up so fast!
Thanks, I am well versed in Seuss
wink.png
. Yup that is Allie, the biggest duck in my flock and just turned 2.... months old.

We will have to modify the advice given on BYC: "When merging flocks, please don't leave your young ducklings unattended, especially near drakes. Their behavior is unpredictable. The ducklings may severely injure or drown the drakes."
lau.gif

Last edited:
Kaine needs a good butt whipping and Casey is perfect for it since she isn't a bully herself. She is nice to any duck that doesn't attack her or block her from food.

The head under water pic (along with the one before it for perspective) are my favorites. That is Rhiannon on the top. The fight would only happen if Crash actually attacked Casey. If she just postured and looked crazy, Casey would probably let it go. I would hate to see Casey in a battle where she has a size and weight advantage <cringe>. You MUST get a picture of the parting of the Calls
lau.gif

Thanks, I am well versed in Seuss
wink.png
. Yup that is Allie, the biggest duck in my flock and just turned 2.... months old.

We will have to modify the advice given on BYC: "When merging flocks, please don't leave your young ducklings unattended, especially near drakes. Their behavior is unpredictable. The ducklings may severely injure or drown the drakes."
lau.gif

HA...as am I. Love Seuss!!

Allie sure is a big girl. Gorgeous!

It's definitely the same here. Cricket won't lead when we're walking, but she certainly enjoys chasing the big kids just for sport it seems.

Back
Top Bottom