The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

Seems like lots of crazy ducklings these days.... Must be something they're putting in the crumble.
idunno.gif

Kaine needs a good butt whipping and Casey is perfect for it since she isn't a bully herself. She is nice to any duck that doesn't attack her or block her from food. The head under water pic (along with the one before it for perspective) are my favorites. That is Rhiannon on the top. The fight would only happen if Crash actually attacked Casey. If she just postured and looked crazy, Casey would probably let it go. I would hate to see Casey in a battle where she has a size and weight advantage . You MUST get a picture of the parting of the Calls :lau Thanks, I am well versed in Seuss;) . Yup that is Allie, the biggest duck in my flock and just turned 2.... months old. We will have to modify the advice given on BYC: "When merging flocks, please don't leave your young ducklings unattended, especially near drakes. Their behavior is unpredictable. The ducklings may severely injure or drown the drakes.":lau
:lau
HA...as am I. Love Seuss!! Allie sure is a big girl. Gorgeous! It's definitely the same here. Cricket won't lead when we're walking, but she certainly enjoys chasing the big kids just for sport it seems.
Seuss fan here too...
Seems like lots of crazy ducklings these days.... Must be something they're putting in the crumble. :idunno
Ack!!!! :oops: -Banti

Hey Tony and/or Yvonne, I'm thinking I'd like to do a big pool like yours for our ducks this summer.

Would you be willing to take/post a couple of pics of the ramp?
How deep is the pool?
Do you have a pump/filter on it? If not, how often do you need to replace the water?
Is it an Intex pool?

Kaine needs a good butt whipping and Casey is perfect for it since she isn't a bully herself. She is nice to any duck that doesn't attack her or block her from food. The head under water pic (along with the one before it for perspective) are my favorites. That is Rhiannon on the top. The fight would only happen if Crash actually attacked Casey. If she just postured and looked crazy, Casey would probably let it go. I would hate to see Casey in a battle where she has a size and weight advantage . You MUST get a picture of the parting of the Calls :lau Thanks, I am well versed in Seuss;) . Yup that is Allie, the biggest duck in my flock and just turned 2.... months old. We will have to modify the advice given on BYC: "When merging flocks, please don't leave your young ducklings unattended, especially near drakes. Their behavior is unpredictable. The ducklings may severely injure or drown the drakes.":lau
Ugh, I know that is Rhiannon... I have no idea why I typed Roxy... musta been more tired than I thought when I posted, lol... Those 2 pics are my faves too... was gonna say exactly what you did, lol... I don't think Crash would actually attack Casey (unless Casey got too close to her babies) but she would absolutely charge towards her with bill wide and screaming obscenities... :gig Will try to get the pic of them scooting away from the 'lings... it cracks me up every time... and definitely need that warning label added to all new 'lings now... :lau
I thought of that, but Crash isn't Metzer... No doubt though, I love my Metzer ducks!!!
Dunno what it is, but it seems to be hereditary... caught a couple pics today that floored me... not as good as your series (phone was on regular pics and delayed too much), but it involved an even younger 'ling... :gig posting them on my pic thread... :)

I'll tell ya...we bought our first 4 from a local feed store last year. The difference between them was remarkable. Our babies from Metzers were much better jumpers, a lot less skittish & they truly seem to adjust to new things better.
All my Metzer babies have been full of vitality with the exception of Ebony who was constipated when we got her, but there is no way that you could tell that on a day-old and once she got flowing normally, she thrived. I have never gotten ducks from a feed store. The only non-Metzer ducks I have are Tella and Ettie who are quite the characters and can keep up with my Metzer ducks. They were hatched and brooded by their mama on a farm about a 4 hour drive from us. We picked them up when they were about as old as these 'lings are now, so they looked like adult ducks when we got them.

Hey Tony and/or Yvonne, I'm thinking I'd like to do a big pool like yours for our ducks this summer.

Would you be willing to take/post a couple of pics of the ramp?
How deep is the pool?
Do you have a pump/filter on it? If not, how often do you need to replace the water?
Is it an Intex pool?
99% of all answers should be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/966725/1900-gallons-of-ducky-bliss

Quick answers:

Pics should be on other thread but ramp isn't that great - I want to make one that is a little less steep and a little more rigid when I get a round tuit.
30"
We replace the water weekly.
Sort of - it is the same as one - again see the thread.

Last edited:
We started our foot inspection and weigh-in program today. No severely bad feet, but the iodine does get used. I am including this here because now that the ducklings are in with the flock, I wanted to show where they rank as far as weight with the established members... from lightest to heaviest:

Entie: 3lbs, 13oz
Kaine: 4lbs - I was a little concerned when I saw this, but he is actually only 6oz lighter than he was last August before we started fattening them up. He spends a lot of time pacing in jail and running like crazy when he is out so this isn't out of the ball park for him, I was just remembering his fattened winter weight of about 5-1/2 lbs so at present, he actually doesn't outweigh Casey.
Dove: 4lbs, 2oz
Noir: 4lbs, 3oz
Casey: 4lbs, 4oz
Latte: 4lbs, 5oz

Mystique: 4lbs, 7oz
Tella: 5lbs, 5oz
Ettie: 5lbs, 8oz
Pocahontas: 5lbs, 12oz
Tevye: 5lbs, 14oz
Rhiannon: 5lbs, 14oz - just for a comparison, she was 5lbs, 13oz in August - Her heaviest weigh-in for the winter was 7lbs, 4oz - a regular fatty, but she is bikini ready for summer
gig.gif

Greta: 6lbs, 5oz
Roxette: 6lbs, 5oz
Allie: 8lbs, 9oz

Casey is at her expected adult weight. Latte should still grow to be close to the size of Greta and Roxette. Allie can stop any time or continue to grow to around 13.5 lbs - time will tell but I think she hit 8 lbs faster than Snow did and right now she is slender (for a Pekin).

Here is a pic from today with the "'lings" napping with Tevye. So far, he is the only one they seem to really like. No hard feelings between him and Casey. These 4 can be found together most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom