The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

love.gif

Allie is almost the same size as my 3 month old Calls!
ep.gif

*puts earplugs in preparation for JB*
big_smile.png
wink.png
I figured on mentioning the Calls when she passed a pound (in a couple days
ep.gif
)

Today we get a short stack of pancakes
tongue.png

Allie: 14.2 oz - up 18%

Casey: 8.9oz - up 13%

Latte: 8.8oz - up 13%

Allie will probably break the 1lb barrier tomorrow. The other two broke the 1/2 lb barrier today.

@Debs Flock , I probably won't get a video because although they like to play with it, it is for brief intervals so by the time I saw it and started the video, they would be done, but I will try to get some pics of them playing with the toy. Got one today with them all playing...

*This photo uses DPR(Digital Poop Removal) provided by the GIMP.

Last edited:
Time for swim #5 or so. Allie has not been challenged because of her hight advantage over Latte and Casey. In order for Latte and Casey to be able to touch on the shallow side of the tub, Allie has been able to touch wherever she goes. Last swim was too deep for Latte and Casey to touch (and they did fine), but Allie could still touch bottom in the shallower half of the tub. Today we filled it high enough that Allie couldn't touch at all. She proved to be a competent swimmer, but because she hasn't had to, she hasn't produced as much preen oil yet. This means she had some buoyancy issues so the swim was cut short. All the ducks objected, but we had to pull Allie (and therefore all of them) as she was starting to sit too low in the water. Hopefully her preen gland kicks in. Latte still floats a little low, but is about 80% waterproof and Casey comes out almost completely dry. They all have fun and all preened themselves dry fairly quickly when back in the brooder. This does illustrate how much they can do, but also how careful you have to be. Toward the end of this swim Allie had to work to keep her bill out of the water but she was happy to be there (she yelled when she was taken out!) We are pushing the competency a bit because when they join the flock for good, they will have access to the big pool, so by then we want them to be strong swimmers with well developed preen glands.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom