The Buckeye Thread

What is the average weight for an adult hen? I am trying to figure out how old my bird is (see above pics of Molly) she is just over 4.5 lbs and has not laid any eggs for me.
That is hard to say because it does depend on the genetics of the bird. Most of my pullets are over 5# before they reach laying age, and some over 6#. Not all breeding lines are the same, so you can't really determine age by weight, necessarily. There are other things to look at though. Spread the wings and observe the feathers. If the bird is still growing new feathers in, it has not reached point of lay yet. You can tell old feathers from new ones coming in by the color, older ones are generally more faded, and the new ones should be wider and rounder than the juvie feathers. Then look at the color of the comb and wattles. A pullet who is coming into lay will become bright red in those areas. You can also feel the spread of the pubic bones ( the pointy bones when you feel from underneath and toward the back, almost like pincher shaped). When a pullet is coming into lay, the spread of the pubic bones should be about 2 fingers width at the gap. Also, a pullet or hen may start squatting as you reach for them when they come close to laying.
You have to consider that this is the time of year that the days are very short. Unless you are providing extra light to them, most hens are not laying right now. I have well over 100 hens, and I get about 12 eggs a day. It is increasing now, but I also provide extra light on a timer to trick them into laying sooner than they would if I did not give them the extra light. Usually about early to mid February is when I start seeing eggs coming more in the birds I don't have lights on.
I hope this helps.

That is hard to say because it does depend on the genetics of the bird.  Most of my pullets are over 5# before they reach laying age, and some over 6#.  Not all breeding lines are the same, so you can't really determine age by weight, necessarily.  There are other things to look at though.  Spread the wings and observe the feathers.  If the bird is still growing new feathers in, it has not reached point of lay yet.  You can tell old feathers from new ones coming in by the color, older ones are generally more faded, and the new ones should be wider and rounder than the juvie feathers.  Then look at the color of the comb and wattles.  A pullet who is coming into lay will become bright red in those areas.  You can also feel the spread of the pubic bones ( the pointy bones when you feel from underneath and toward the back, almost like pincher shaped).  When a pullet is coming into lay, the spread of the pubic bones should be about 2 fingers width at the gap.  Also, a pullet or hen may start squatting as you reach for them when they come close to laying.  

You have to consider that this is the time of year that the days are very short.  Unless you are providing extra light to them, most hens are not laying right now.  I have well over 100 hens, and I get about 12 eggs a day.  It is increasing now, but I also provide extra light on a timer to trick them into laying sooner than they would if I did not give them the extra light.  Usually about early to mid February is when I start seeing eggs coming more in the birds I don't have lights on.

I hope this helps.

Yes this helped quite a bit. I got pullets/cockerel reportedly hatched in april/may. Got one egg the day I got them two months ago then nothing since. Was beginning to think my new buckeyes were past laying age!! Will look for those eggs next month.

Last edited:
Good luck, podgal. There are many people who are new to raising chickens who think something is wrong when their birds stop laying in the fall, but it is just Mother Nature giving them a break.
Did you know that a hen laying an egg every day is like a woman giving birth to a 9# baby every day? I would want a break after doing that for months ;)

Good luck, podgal.  There are many people who are new to raising chickens who think something is wrong when their birds stop laying in the fall, but it is just Mother Nature giving them a break.

Did you know that a hen laying an egg every day is like a woman giving birth to a 9# baby every day?  I would want a break after doing that for months ;)

♡♡♡~LOVE the thought of 9# everyday... I just figured ONE egg out of 5 pullets every once in a while wasn't asking TOO much... I seriously thought a 100% shutdown was against mother nature but she obviously knows more than I do as winter eggs, hence babies, were counterproductive for the birds. Another of many "duhs" in my bag of chicken tricks... oh baby look out, when those girls give one up I am gonna be so very appreciative and proud. Look for the pics.

If the bird is still growing new feathers in, it has not reached point of lay yet.
You can also feel the spread of the pubic bones
Also, a pullet or hen may start squatting as you reach for them when they come close to laying.
There are some new feathers coming, almost like she is going through a mini-molt. Do Buckeyes tend to have a juvenile molt?
Bones were approx 1.5 fingers
No squatting, seems to be acting like the other one did as a juvenile, won't submit, doesn't like to be picked up.
I did get two mini-eggs at the beginning of fall, I did not think they were from her. If they were, she picked the exact days the other one didn't lay, as I never got two eggs in the same day.

Juveniles molt 7 times before they reach their adult plummage. Usually about 5-6 months is when they are getting their final feathers into adult.
Not all mine squat either, even if they are ready to start laying. They all have their own quirky behaviors, just like people.

What is the average weight for an adult hen? I am trying to figure out how old my bird is (see above pics of Molly) she is just over 4.5 lbs and has not laid any eggs for me.
My adult hens range from 6 1/2 lbs to 7 lbs. I got pullets this year that are already 6 1/2 pounds at 8 months old. Most weigh around 6 lbs though and standard weight is 5 1/2 lbs for a pullet, so I'm happy with the turnout.

Standard weight for cockerels is 8 lbs and nearly all of my 11-13 month old males are already at 9+ lbs, so weight isn't really an issue for the breed as long as you pay attention to what you are breeding. I feed them 22% protein growing up and finished them with 19-20% protein.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I just thought this is a good time to post these as now is as good a time as any to look at your birds and make selections on who will be breeding this spring. Here are a few more pointers for choosing between the birds in your flock. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Stay warm and keep your birds from the elements. It was -30 here in northwest Ohio today. I can't wait for spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom