• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I think you have two ducks, yes? And they probably don't weigh more than 5 pounds - I think it would be difficult for just the two of them to keep themselves warm enough in a really frigid shelter.

From my experience with Runners, I can say that not all ducks have the same cold hardiness. And from threads here, I have found that some folks who say their ducks are fine in extreme cold actually have a shelter available to the ducks that stays closer to 35F to 40F. For me, it's not a question of survival but of thriving. I have a number of Runners who do not thrive below 35F - so they have a night shelter that stays at or above 40F. And when I let the flock outside, I watch them. On a cloudy day that's 25F and breezy, they'll start showing signs of getting chilled, and I bring them in.

I aim to adjust their setup so that they can bring themselves in, but for now they cannot - and I must pay attention to the weather report. During a blizzard, of course, they remain in their night shelter, that is nice and roomy with a little over 100 square feet for 14 small (3 - 4 pound) ducks.

At the very least, have a backup shelter for them - and please keep track. I had an indoor-outdoor thermometer set up to read the temperature inside the duck coop without me opening the door and making it even colder. That is how I monitored them their first winter, and that's how I learned what the threshold of my less hardy ducks is.

Also, there have been some record-breaking low temperatures - ducks do have their limits.
I have two geese and 12 ducks, will they produce enough heat by themselves to be okay in minnesota? Lots of people have said they would, but maybe they had larger flocks.

This is the coop... It'll have a door next week. We have insulation to put around along with a screen to place over it to keep wind and snow out. I was having a hard time posting so I had to post separate. @NathanZee

One of my Buff Ladies has gone way way broody, I have tried a few things. I made a new area just for her but she prefers the 'box/house' where all 4 are supposed to shelter, she keeps the others out. I have removed 'nest' several times. It also appears as if she is the one that has stopped laying eggs, just wants to sit on her nest. Suggestions.

Last edited:
Thank you, Here is my 3 year old son holding one. We got 5 ducklings. One is darker. Drake I hope.
So, buff ducklings can be dark?! I have a dark one too I didn't know she was still a buff. She has some yellow on her feet. Is she a buff? I got her from ideal poultry a few days ago

She doesn't look like a buff. She might be a golden 300 or possibly a khaki campbell.

DARN! That's what every one says :( she's not a khaki I have 3 of those doesn't look like them. She's got brown eyes.... Like a buff. Idk id be thrilled if she was a 300. Guess we all will have to wait and see. She's still tiny while her magpie sister is growing bigger everyday

From my reserch, when breeding buff ducks, you get 3 colors, buff, blonde and brown. also in rare cases you can get black, blue and white. I got lucky and my buffs produced a blue splash! he is gorgeous. this one looks to be a brown orpington to me, they get the brown bill and legs!

From my reserch, when breeding buff ducks, you get 3 colors, buff, blonde and brown. also in rare cases you can get black, blue and white. I got lucky and my buffs produced a blue splash! he is gorgeous. this one looks to be a brown orpington to me, they get the brown bill and legs!
Really? I'd never heard that. I'm guessing maybe higher quality strains breed true.

Back
Top Bottom