The Dorking Breeders thread

Too funny...so the fences are 6' hi? My mind is trying to figure out where to put yards...I was pretty amazed that they went over the 6' or 7'? fence..
We have hawks too but either cuz of the dogs( don't bother the chickens) or the size of the chickens they haven't bothered them.. Cross my fingers.
We are kinda out in farm land so no neighbors dogs..(people don't let dogs loose cuz the farmers can shoot them if harassing livestock.)
I like to watch them too.. they come up to the house..they go every where and love to graze with the horses.
I have the big waterers and feeders too but go down every day..travel? did some one say travel? Not hardly
I even bought the automatic door opener/closer. Have yet to put it up..but this summer probably will so we don't worry about evening closing...plus not having to feed the horses in summer .. yahoo..we might even get away for a day!!
Thank you so much for all the info.
Welcome any time.... Have fun with the chickens. They are like a soap opera! My teacher friends call it "As the barn turns...." when I share stories. Romance, divorce, arguments, suicide,etc... very amusing.

Seems like all the posts are several years old. I will be receiving red dorkings mid January to begin my own breeding flock.

I hope this can be a current resource.

Seems like all the posts are several years old. I will be receiving red dorkings mid January to begin my own breeding flock.

I hope this can be a current resource.

I think what might've happened w/ a lot of BYC threads going dormant is when BYC changed their website provider/format and a lot of BYC old-timers got frustrated transitioning to the new website format. Seems like many regulars went to Facebook then and you might want to look at Facebook Dorking sources too. I think Dorkings are nice birds for their temperament and I consider them a good mellow backyard bird. There are so many breeds I have wanted to try over the years but I'm zoned for 5 hens and no roos in my 'burbs and never got the chance to try a Dorking yet. GL w/ your breeding flock!

I think what might've happened w/ a lot of BYC threads going dormant is when BYC changed their website provider/format and a lot of BYC old-timers got frustrated transitioning to the new website format. Seems like many regulars went to Facebook then and you might want to look at Facebook Dorking sources too. I think Dorkings are nice birds for their temperament and I consider them a good mellow backyard bird. There are so many breeds I have wanted to try over the years but I'm zoned for 5 hens and no roos in my 'burbs and never got the chance to try a Dorking yet. GL w/ your breeding flock!
Ty! I am pretty stoked, lol. I have 5 acres in farming zoned area so no holds here. My goal for my dorkings are 1. My contribution to breed conservation adhering to APA guidelines 2. Personal consumption 3. And, as with all chickens, personal entertainment, lol.
I anticipate a lot of learning on my part, so I'm finding resources now. My initial day-old flock will arrive by mid January.

Ty! I am pretty stoked, lol. I have 5 acres in farming zoned area so no holds here. My goal for my dorkings are 1. My contribution to breed conservation adhering to APA guidelines 2. Personal consumption 3. And, as with all chickens, personal entertainment, lol.
I anticipate a lot of learning on my part, so I'm finding resources now. My initial day-old flock will arrive by mid January.

I was so excited to get my first backyard flock 7 yrs ago. I grew up on a farm as a kid but living in suburbs now doesn't allow much in the way of livestock animals except that a few cities are zoned for small chicken flocks w/ no roos. When my DH agree to have chickens as backyard pets instead of the traditional cat or dog, I was delighted and we got our first two "pet" Silkies. Loved them so much we added a White Leghorn pullet and a Cuckoo Marans to get a better supply of eggs. Big mistake! I didn't realize that mixing docile breeds w/ assertive or aggressive breeds was not a good peaceful backyard flock. I've cycled through 18 chickens in 7 yrs and lost some to devastating illnesses like Marek's, Cancer, Leukosis, etc. When I had to re-home our aggressive breeds to a friend it was difficult to lose birds we considered "friends" but I chose to keep docile breeds and gaive away my more assertive egg layers. But that's ok -- we have less eggs but a better peaceful flock of docile types now. When I researched docile breeds, the Dorking was one breed I seriously considered and in the end chose to keep docile breeds 5-lbs or under around the original 2 Silkies which ruled out the Dorking for me at the time. My DH and I frequent Mimi's Cafe which has photos of poultry paintings and we usually sit at the Dorking portrait table!

Back
Top Bottom