The Dorking Breeders thread

I'm going to be looking for an APA standard rooster fairly soon.
If you can pick him up in Alabama, I have a nice rooster. I am told he is not too bad as far as APA standard (but I don't know for sure). Anyway he is around 4. Either he or is brother, I can't remember which one, is my avatar. He is all I have left except for a couple of older hens who lay only occasionally.

If you can pick him up in Alabama, I have a nice rooster. I am told he is not too bad as far as APA standard (but I don't know for sure). Anyway he is around 4. Either he or is brother, I can't remember which one, is my avatar. He is all I have left except for a couple of older hens who lay only occasionally.
I may well be interested. Can I get your email address?

Tried? As in there were no chicks available?

I'm excited.
Yeah, tried a couple of time with Hortsman and best I could get was an email back stating he wasn't hatching any dorkings. I requested be added to a "waiting list" but never heard anything more. Did send a follow up, but no response. He's a poultry judge as well and travels with that so don't think he's got a bunch of time for emails or what not. Anyways, good to see he's still offering dorkings from time to time. I started my red dorking line a couple years ago and just wanted to run Hortsman birds as a side line.

I'll be interested in seeing how your Hortsman birds progress especially when they get up around the 20 week mark or so. Good luck with your birds. :thumbsup

Question to veteran chickeners: short version: is there a way to tell if the chickens have eaten enough? The reason I'm asking ... My 13 free- ranging chickens have access to 5 acres ... There are areas they have never attempted to forage. Currently, I'm feeding them about 3/4 of a container that originally held 4# oats of oats, corn and organic layer feed twice daily along with their foraging. I don't want to cut back on their feed without knowing that I'm doing the correct thing. On the other hand, if I can safely reduce my feed bill that would just be dandy.

Thanks in advance.

Oops...currently feed 3/4 of a container that originally held 4# last twice daily.

Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom