The Dorking Breeders thread

Hi just getting into the dorking breed but they are going to be what I have decided to breed and have started setting up pens for them. My question is I stubled on this thread after ordering from Meyer. Does anyone have experice with what type of stock they have and if they are even work starting with. I want to work on the silver grey line and breed back to the standards. Hoping to be order from somewhere with maybe show quality or close to next year (waited too long for this year it looks like). Thanks for any insight!
Hey there. I'm new to Dorkings as well and have a dozen Silver Gray eggs in a friend's incubator. They came from P. Allen Smith's line. I'm also waiting on White Dorking chicks from a breeder up North. I'll repeat what everyone with more experience has said to me... have patience and be persistent. Raise out the hatchery birds you are getting and cull for the best type among them. Keep looking for someone who raises the birds you want and let them know you are willing to wait. It could be next spring before those birds come to you, but hang in there with patience and flexibility. The best birds come from small breeders who devote their energy to one or two breeds, and they may already be booked for this spring. You might end up with hatching eggs. You might end up with nice quality breeders from someone who has extras. Prepare yourself for whatever comes your way. I didn't intend on these Silver Gray eggs, but they came my way by accident, and I made arrangements for someone to hatch them for me. Good luck and stay in touch.

Anthony

GM folks:

I have a bit of a genetics question.....so, I have a pair of red pullets, I cannot find any reds anywhere...so, I am thinking of getting a quad of SGs, and mixing the reds with the SGs,,,then later breeding back to (reds or SGs) when I can get a decent red roo? Is this a viable idea???

GM folks:

I have a bit of a genetics question.....so, I have a pair of red pullets, I cannot find any reds anywhere...so, I am thinking of getting a quad of SGs, and mixing the reds with the SGs,,,then later breeding back to (reds or SGs) when I can get a decent red roo? Is this a viable idea???

That could take generations to get everything back to the standard. Try Mary Wetterstroem, Roseland Haven Farm on Facebook. She's got beautiful reds

https://m.facebook.com/Roseland-Haven-Farm-170211816402340/

Last August when I was talking to her, she responded within a few days, but that was via email. You could try her email?
[email protected]

May be a hassle, but it'll save you in the long run. I know she is able to ship.

Otherwise, I plan to be npip by the end of the year. I only have one pair of the reds though, so I have a lot of building to do with my breeding stock. But I should have a few that I'm growing out by then.

Hi, i just hatched 3 RD and 1 has curled feet. Can i do anything to help this chick?
and my 2nd Q is how do i tell the cockrel from the pullet? Ifi i remember right, the cockrell has a darker feathers on top his head? and the pullet has more Salmon colored feathers? is this correct?

thanks for any assistance w/my little chick

Quote: Mary is a wonderful person and very responsive. Perhaps it went to that "other" folder that is sometimes impossible to see. I'd try again.
wink.png

Also, if you are giving up on Dorkings that easily, they may not be the breed for you... The breeder I brought from knew me well by the time I had my birds shipped.

Hi, i just hatched 3 RD and 1 has curled feet. Can i do anything to help this chick?
and my 2nd Q is how do i tell the cockrel from the pullet? Ifi i remember right, the cockrell has a darker feathers on top his head? and the pullet has more Salmon colored feathers? is this correct?

thanks for any assistance w/my little chick

Hey Cyndi, the girls are more defined and darker contrast. My avatar is a pullet SGD.

Back
Top Bottom