The Dorking Breeders thread

Check out Miss Widow Hen on my Youtube Channel... and my other videos
Aww what a sweetie, she was walking so well maybe try her one more day with hobbles and see how she is doing Sunday with out them. Maybe her toes will be okay by then too.
thumbsup.gif

Joseph is right. Never, ever breed a chick with that kind of deformity. I can understand that you love it, and it might survive and make a good pet, but there is a high probability it will pass on this condition and similar problems. That is particularly important with rare breeds like Dorkings in which every animal has the potential to affect the entire breed in the future. As long as it exists there is a chance it will be bred and the offspring passed on as Dorkings. It is a testament to your compassion that you have worked so hard to save it. Farmers/breeders take a sterner position and cull a problem like that immediately.

Regarding color, there is no sex link color pattern in purebred Red Dorkings bred to purebred Red Dorkings. Only time, or an expert pelvic exam will tell it's gender at this point. You may begin to see signs of gender over the next couple of weeks. If it is a single combed variety the cockerels will have slightly larger combs and wattles. Be patient.

And the Dorking is an auto sexing breed, you can tell at birth whether they're boys or girls.

The Dorking is not and never has been an auto-sexing breed, although those breeds do exist. Some strains, (not all!) of Silver Gray Dorkings can be sexed at hatch, (not birth,) by comparing the width of stripes on the chicks' heads. I have never read of any Red Dorking breeders claiming to sex day-old chicks.
Best wishes,
Angela

Aww what a sweetie, she was walking so well maybe try her one more day with hobbles and see how she is doing Sunday with out them. Maybe her toes will be okay by then too. :thumbsup
GM Miss Lydia, thank you for the direction on my Widow Hen, errr excuse me Mr. Widow Hen, looks like he is a he according to some.
Joseph is right.  Never, ever breed a chick with that kind of deformity.  I can understand that you love it, and it might survive and make a good pet, but there is a high probability it will pass on this condition and similar problems.  That is particularly important with rare breeds like Dorkings in which every animal has the potential to affect the entire breed in the future.  As long as it exists there is a chance it will be bred and the offspring passed on as Dorkings.  It is a testament to your compassion that you have worked so hard to save it.  Farmers/breeders take a sterner position and cull a problem like that immediately.   

Regarding color, there is no sex link color pattern in purebred Red Dorkings bred to purebred Red Dorkings.  Only time, or an expert pelvic exam will tell it's gender at this point.  You may begin to see signs of gender over the next couple of weeks.  If it is a single combed variety the cockerels will have slightly larger combs and wattles.  Be patient.  
thank you very much for your opinion, which i do agree w. i would not want anymore offspring w/problems, especially when trying to advance & preserve this beautful breed. I will keep her as a pet. I was told that the feathering colors is a way to tell the diff between a cockrel & a pullet. Do you have Dorkings, RD? and have you watched for the feathering colors & was it true for sexing? I am probably asking a heated Q, but i am not meaning to, i am ignorantly curious if this has or has not worked for you? thank you
#1 is a boy
2 & 3 are girls.

And the Dorking is an auto sexing breed, you can tell at birth whether they're boys or girls.
OH! thank you, i remembered it backwards.. i thought #1 was a girl & #2 & 3 were boys... thank you. now i need a cockrel and i am all out of RD eggs. I have 4 more in lockdown on Day 23, but i dont think they are alive..I will ck them out today. thanks again.
The Dorking is not and never has been an auto-sexing breed, although those breeds do exist. Some strains, (not all!) of Silver Gray Dorkings can be sexed at hatch, (not birth,) by comparing the width of stripes on the chicks' heads. I have never read of any Red Dorking breeders claiming to sex day-old chicks.
Best wishes,
Angela
thank you Angela for your response. I have neverhad Dorkings before... I am so proud that I have joined the band wagon to breed and try to extend this beautiful breed. I pray I can be an asset to the breeds longevity.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP W/MY CHICKS... I will keep you posted as to their sex. I have already banded them and I am so excited to be apart of your group. thank you and God bless you all

Because the Red Dorking hens have the cuckoo type pattern, similar to the SGD hens, they are able to be color sexed. I've had SG and Red chicks, and although they reds are slightly less defined, you can still tell. But genetically, this should still hold true because of the feather patterns. Anytime you have a cuckoo patterned hen mated to a non-cuckoo rooster, the chicks are able to be color-sexed.
This has been my experience at least.

I apologize if I'm incorrect, and I'll definitely post my next babies on here so we can see them grow. I should be getting a bunch of Colored Dorkings within the next month, so that should be fun. It'll be my first time with the Colored variety!!! So excited!!
wee.gif

Because the Red Dorking hens have the cuckoo type pattern, similar to the SGD hens, they are able to be color sexed. I've had SG and Red chicks, and although they reds are slightly less defined, you can still tell. But genetically, this should still hold true because of the feather patterns. Anytime you have a cuckoo patterned hen mated to a non-cuckoo rooster, the chicks are able to be color-sexed.
This has been my experience at least.

I apologize if I'm incorrect, and I'll definitely post my next babies on here so we can see them grow. I should be getting a bunch of Colored Dorkings within the next month, so that should be fun. It'll be my first time with the Colored variety!!! So excited!!
:weee  

Or is it called barring?

From what I've been reading on all the U.S. and international Dorking forums over the years, many lines of the SGs can be sexed based on the down coloring on their heads. However, the McMurray line of SGD's and most or all of the Red lines do not follow the down coloring pattern, and therefore cannot be sexed in this manner. In my own Reds (Sandhill line), they definitely cannot be sexed using down pattern.

There is no reason that this little one can't be a pet or layer (if a pullet) if she heals and grows properly. Proper management of your breeders will prevent her from accidentally contributing to your hatching eggs. My first chicken had splay legs that were much worse than that when she was a chick. With proper care, she lived an extremely long lifespan, and had no orthopedic problems whatsoever. Not appropriate breeding stock, but a treasured bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom