The Front Porch Swing

Flock raiser is the one I know...  its a Purena product.  For those who dont like Purena I haven't ever had a problem with it.  Fermenting the feed boosts the protien and allows the food to be more completely digestible.    With lots of probiotic and amino acids.

When I go back to raising poultry I am hoping to raise up a batch of Jumbo Guinea Keets.  I want to compare the quantity of feed in fermented form to the quantity of feed dry.  Because when i raised guineas before I was going through 50 pounds of Game Bird Starter every week....  for 40 Keets.  

I may have to split the batch of Keets and feed them side by side though to really determine the difference...  as a scientific experiment.  for a true comparison I must have the same breed and the same housing for brooding...  The only difference will be feed.

Part of my outrageous feed quantities for the last batch of Keets was due to wastage.   Bad planning on my part Bad Brooding setup... 

So everything will get weighed  I can measure input and measure the keets weight comparatively.

By the way I want to raise jumbos for my home flock...  for meat and eggs. 

deb

Yep, Flock Raiser by Purina is the one!

So chick feed is higher in protein than layer mash, or lower? I'm having a brain freeze and can't remember. Can I use layer mash mixed with steam rolled barley, fermented of course, for the chicks if they need higher protein. I just don't want to buy a 50# bag of chick starter for 6-8 chicks. And that is if they all hatch. So far she still only has 2. I have until Mon evening till the 2 that were hatched last night need food. I do have a dish of ff in front of the momma hen, so I don't know if they will try to eat it. It won't hurt them if they do will it?. Like I said, it is a mix of layer mash, scratch, flax seed and steamed rolled barley. I can go to tsc and pick up a bag of chick starter if I need to.

I have a question for all of you swingers.

How many of you are considered the "Crazy Chicken Lady" by your family/friends/neighbors?

I am ! And I am proud of it !

I have not. But that would require gender reassignment surgery so it isn't surprising
wink.png

Bruce

Its the feed you feed the adult birds... What ever feed brand you use.  You can feed it to ducks Turkeys too.  An All flock feed is lower in protien also it doesnt have the calcium for egg layers so its great for Roosters. 

When you feed an All Flock you need to offer free chioce a source of calcium....  Like crumbled egg shells or oystershell. 

deb
This is what I do.
Flock raiser is 18% protein if I remember correctly. It is crumbles. Laying mash/pellets have more calcium in them than chicks should have. TSC also sells 20# bags of chicken feed.
my bag says 20%, which is what Metzer says is ideal for raising ducklings, so I'm glad I had already switched to it.

Planted some sedum clippings between the rocks on the storm shelter.. only 1/3 done with those rocks
lol.png
we bought 5 yards of the stuff

Got a broody on my hands. Got her some mutt eggs from a friend.

It's Milly's 2 month birthday

Pulled the last peaches off the tree, gonna cut them up and cook them with a bit of lemon juice and sugar.. so yummy in the homemade yogurt.

Planted some sedum clippings between the rocks on the storm shelter.. only 1/3 done with those rocks :lol: we bought 5 yards of the stuff Got a broody on my hands. Got her some mutt eggs from a friend. It's Milly's 2 month birthday Pulled the last peaches off the tree, gonna cut them up and cook them with a bit of lemon juice and sugar.. so yummy in the homemade yogurt.
Millie is ssssssooooooooo cute!

Back
Top Bottom