The Front Porch Swing

Millie is ssssssooooooooo cute!

I rather like her, I think I'll keep her
wink.png
lau.gif

So chick feed is higher in protein than layer mash, or lower? I'm having a brain freeze and can't remember. Can I use layer mash mixed with steam rolled barley, fermented of course, for the chicks if they need higher protein. I just don't want to buy a 50# bag of chick starter for 6-8 chicks. And that is if they all hatch. So far she still only has 2. I have until Mon evening till the 2 that were hatched last night need food. I do have a dish of ff in front of the momma hen, so I don't know if they will try to eat it. It won't hurt them if they do will it?. Like I said, it is a mix of layer mash, scratch, flax seed and steamed rolled barley. I can go to tsc and pick up a bag of chick starter if I need to.

Yep its a tad bit higher I dont know the percentage and its ground a little finer than regular feed. its formulated to feed Littluns that are growing very rapidly. Unless they are free ranging with momma I wouldnt offer them up any whole seeds because they arent equipped to grind them in their Wittle Gizzards. Picture feeding a baby infant food then offering him up a chunk of steak....

For guineas because they grow incredibly fast they need 28 percent or more... But then after two weeks they have wing feathers long enough to make them look like little caped crusaders and they can shoot up in the air a good six feet. ANd when they hit the ground their feet are already runnin....
gig.gif

you can also boost the protien by hardboiling an egg then smashing it to pieces smaller than flax seeds with a fork... OH yummy.

deb

Yep its a tad bit higher I dont know the percentage and its ground a little finer than regular feed. its formulated to feed Littluns that are growing very rapidly. Unless they are free ranging with momma I wouldnt offer them up any whole seeds because they arent equipped to grind them in their Wittle Gizzards. Picture feeding a baby infant food then offering him up a chunk of steak....

For guineas because they grow incredibly fast they need 28 percent or more... But then after two weeks they have wing feathers long enough to make them look like little caped crusaders and they can shoot up in the air a good six feet. ANd when they hit the ground their feet are already runnin....
gig.gif

you can also boost the protien by hardboiling an egg then smashing it to pieces smaller than flax seeds with a fork... OH yummy.

deb
Yep! I'm going to go get some chick feed at tsc tomorrow. May try the flock raiser when this feed is done.

Planted some sedum clippings between the rocks on the storm shelter.. only 1/3 done with those rocks
lol.png
we bought 5 yards of the stuff

You paid for rocks Sietske?? I'd give them to you for FREE! I think rocks grow better in Vermont than any other crop! Of course the shipping costs might be prohibitive.

I have to say though that we drove up De Luz road in Fallbrook to the wedding yesterday and there were some SERIOUS rocks up on those hills. Hope none break loose in an earthquake because they could smash a house flat.

I found a picture that is somewhat representative:
https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/48/bigphoto/019/120046019_5.jpg

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom