The Front Porch Swing

We had a dog named whups and cat named nosmo king. they had the same coloring in the same places on their bodies white and peachy orange. Whups was a terrier/poodle and the cat was the same size. They would chase each other through the yard until Nosmo had enough then he would hold Whups in the death grip until whups didn't move. Nosmo would leap away and it would start all over again.

Scooter is a mouser too.. Just doesn't eat them. He likes to catch them and leave them in the drive way or at the back door. Just voles and moles, nothing else. No birds (he loves to TRY and get them, but he's never managed). He lived in a field for the first year of his life... atleast that's what the rescue lady told me. It makes sense, I could see this silly thing living on small critters.

He loves to sleep on top of the chicken coop. Or on top of the grill (nice and warm from the sun). Or the top of a car or truck.

Hello fellow porchers!!! Just popping in to say "Hey". It's been a week or two since I've been to the porch. Been busy! I will have a lot of catching up to do! Skimmed the last 4-5 pages. Hope everyone is having a great summer! I will be checking in from time to time. Everyone stay safe and may God Bless you all!

Hey, Happy! Great to see ya again!

Before I tell you all what happened this evening, I want you to tell me that you love me, that you know I'm not crazy, and that in the world of chickens anything is possible...I'll wait. Hmmm humm dumdedumdum, la da de de la da.....................

Hey, Happy!  Great to see ya again!  

Before I tell you all what happened this evening, I want you to tell me that you love me, that you know I'm not crazy, and that in the world of chickens anything is possible...I'll wait.  Hmmm humm dumdedumdum, la da de de la da.....................
Of course we love ya. And in the south we parade our crazy on the front porch and give it a glass of sweet tea.

Okay, then here goes:

Ken and I let the chickens out every evening, and we sit in the lawn chairs keeping an eye on them. There are a few areas where we don't want them to go, so we kinda sit there, talk about our day, chicken herding. Ida had provided another beautiful little egg this morning, and I was keeping an eye on Mathilda, who was snooping suspiciously around under the lilacs.

I glanced over at one of the Red Sex Links and ended up staring at her. I thought, "What's wrong with Beatrice?" She was walking with her legs kinda far apart, and then she'd stand still looking at the ground. She'd walk a few more steps then repeat that process. I had no idea, but I didn't take my eyes off her. After watching for a few minutes, I realized that it looked like she was trying to poop but couldn't get it out.

I put my soda down and just as I got up to get her and check her, she squatted down and laid an almost perfectly formed rubber egg. She felt much better after that. There was no sound, no egg song, either before or after she laid it. I went over and picked it up (yucky) and put it on the table on the deck while she wandered around, munching on weeds, catching bees, and shaking her tail.

It wasn't 30 minutes later when she repeated the entire process. Waddle, shake her bootie, squat, repeat - and then she laid another one! Same chicken....almost the same spot in the grass...but this one was more wrinkly and odd shaped. So I know I'm not crazy - I watched her lay both eggs. I picked up both eggs. I took a photo of both eggs. What in the heck is going on? I understand that it can take some time to get the entire "production line" in sync, so I wasn't surprised by the first one. It was the second one laid so close to the first that is throwing me off. Can someone explain this to me? I'd almost think I've been so obsessed with getting eggs that I was seeing things if I hadn't held those warm, rubbery things in my hand!

Hey, Happy! Great to see ya again!

Before I tell you all what happened this evening, I want you to tell me that you love me, that you know I'm not crazy, and that in the world of chickens anything is possible...I'll wait. Hmmm humm dumdedumdum, la da de de la da.....................

OH Blooke Out with it ..... you silly girl.....
gig.gif

deb

This is Yankee our 7 month old dachshund mix. He loves his boys but is partial to Aaron. He sleeps with him every night. He loves to play ball and he's scared of the ducks. He and the boys will be playing and he will get one on the floor and just lick them to death.

This is Nic and Perry our 2 year old cocker spaniel. He is the most mellow thing ever. I'm not sure he even barks. Lol! Just a laid back dude.

We also have an older chocolate lab named Ranger. He is pretty chill too, unless you are a cat. He likes to sneak inside and sleep on the couch. We are just trying to make his last years nice.

Okay, then here goes: Ken and I let the chickens out every evening, and we sit in the lawn chairs keeping an eye on them. There are a few areas where we don't want them to go, so we kinda sit there, talk about our day, chicken herding. Ida had provided another beautiful little egg this morning, and I was keeping an eye on Mathilda, who was snooping suspiciously around under the lilacs. I glanced over at one of the Red Sex Links and ended up staring at her. I thought, "What's wrong with Beatrice?" She was walking with her legs kinda far apart, and then she'd stand still looking at the ground. She'd walk a few more steps then repeat that process. I had no idea, but I didn't take my eyes off her. After watching for a few minutes, I realized that it looked like she was trying to poop but couldn't get it out. I put my soda down and just as I got up to get her and check her, she squatted down and laid an almost perfectly formed rubber egg. She felt much better after that. There was no sound, no egg song, either before or after she laid it. I went over and picked it up (yucky) and put it on the table on the deck while she wandered around, munching on weeds, catching bees, and shaking her tail. It wasn't 30 minutes later when she repeated the entire process. Waddle, shake her bootie, squat, repeat - and then she laid another one! Same chicken....almost the same spot in the grass...but this one was more wrinkly and odd shaped. So I know I'm not crazy - I watched her lay both eggs. I picked up both eggs. I took a photo of both eggs. What in the heck is going on? I understand that it can take some time to get the entire "production line" in sync, so I wasn't surprised by the first one. It was the second one laid so close to the first that is throwing me off. Can someone explain this to me? I'd almost think I've been so obsessed with getting eggs that I was seeing things if I hadn't held those warm, rubbery things in my hand!
I have no idea, but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to learn.

Back
Top Bottom