The Front Porch Swing

Frizz fest

lol.png

Beautiful! I wish my hair had that much body! :)

This evening was a repeat of last evening, with the exception that Beatrice only laid one rubber egg instead of two. She looks miserable. I don't know if waiting for a good egg is worth it with her. I didn't see a prolapsed vent, but while I think I know what I'm looking for I'm a little unsure, especially since I checked her before the egg was laid. She just stands in place, staring at the ground, squatting, then shifting her position slightly and repeating the whole process. Last night it didn't take as long as it did tonight. She laid two then in the time it took her to finally get one tonight. This morning when I got up the first thing I did was throw my clothes on and run out to check her. She was so active and busy it was even hard to pick her out until I spotted her tell-tail wing feather. (She has just one wing feather that is all white) She was eating normally, dust bathing, drinking, pooping, quibbling with her roommates. But long about 7 she started the behavior pattern of the night before. I'm wondering if she'll be back to normal tomorrow until egg time again.

Keep your fingers crossed.....this is really troubling me now.

Blooie, my girls are only 12 weeks old so clearly I have NO experience but isn't this something they all go through until they are producing normal eggs?

Unfortunately, as the latest forecast track of Arthur indicates, we here in Nova Scotia are right in the direct line of the storm. I hate it and I sure hope it changes its track before it reaches us. Not looking forward to all that wind and rain !

Keep us in your prayers folks and may God bless each and everyone of you.

Still looks like you are in for a lot of wind and probably 2 or more inches of rain Sunday. Batten down the hatches and stay safe!

Blooie, my girls are only 12 weeks old so clearly I have NO experience but isn't this something they all go through until they are producing normal eggs?

I would not say normal since none of mine did that. I have had some "no shell" eggs though, they seem quite random.
Hoping Blooie's girl is just a bit slow figuring out the order of steps in manufacturing an egg and that none of them are optional
smile.png

I don't know if it is possible for a chicken to not have the "add shell" station on the line. Maybe someone who has had WAY more than 12 chickens can help out.

Bruce

Blooie, has your rubber egg girl ever laid a normal egg... yet?

When I was younger, before having children, my hair was so long that i sat on it. It used to get caught on the hardware on the back of the chairs at school. when I washed it at night, i'd drape it over the head board and it'd still be wet underneath in the morning. Had a lot of head aches from the weight of it! I finally got it cut off, and kept going shorter until now, it's at most 2 - 3" long. I can't stand the feeling of hair on my face or the back of my neck. It's real thick... reminds me of what it feels like to wear a motorcycle helmet. I don't have any grey hair, but I have LOTS of sparkles in my hair. No styling for me... I cut my own, and my husband cuts the stuff in the back that I can't reach. I figure that I never see the back of my head, so it doesn't matter what it looks like back there anyways! I guess it's not too bad b/c i get a lot of compliments from the little old ladies in the nursing homes, but, of course, probably they're vision impaired... so they don't notice any glaring imperfections!!!

TTMom: If you did get your hair cut short, it'd work for Locks of Love. Such a pretty color!

It's not just her shell production that's messed up, either. Her timing is way off! When I got up at 5 this morning, started the coffee then went out to check on her she'd laid another rubber egg. This one was on the poop board where she roosts. So two within half an hour the first day, and then two within 8 hours the second. Today she's fine, outside just being a chicken enjoying the sunshine and companionship. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Blooie - I hope she perks up... Tell her do get more oyster shells in her diet (or calcium of some kind!). That's all I can suggest. I have layer feed with my ladies and it doesn't seem to have enough Calcium in it for them, so I crush up our oyster shells and it solved the problem very quickly. I was getting some very thin shelled, a broken one, and a rubbery one before I thought of it. Even giving them egg shells wasn't enough.

Well ladies (and gents), I have been gone for a while. This full time mom of 3 kids aged 1,3, and 5 is rather a busy time, as well as 56 chicks that are 10 days old, and a new Maremma puppy (12 weeks). Oh, and then there are the 6 hens, rooster, pet cat and dog! And DH is gone for 2 weeks at a time! OY! I never realize what I'm doing until I write it down, and wouldn't have it any other way (except with DH home more!)

Anyway, thought I'd check in. 10 days ago we got 56 chicks:
25 Meat birds - a "heritage" Mistral Gris that is supposed to be about 6-9lbs in 12-14 weeks,
10 Ameraucana
10 Light Sussex (suppose to be winter layers)
5 Caramel Queen (sex link cross of some sort)
and 6 Marans

Hoping to build up my laying flock and sell some rainbow eggs, and have some good meat in the meantime.

I managed to find 2 broody hens, one that had just gone broody and is a bantam, so I got her and shoved 5 eggs under her, and one ISA Brown (they aren't supposed to go broody) who is being Momma to 16 of the chicks in a chicken tractor outside. It is so nice to see chicks with their Mamma to compare the literature on "how to brood chicks" to what really happens. I would definitely only do laying chicks with broodies from now on.

(Day 2 - successful adoption! I stuck them underneath her the night before)

As for the birds in the brooders (an old bathtub for the meaties, and a large cardboard box for the mixed layers), They are definitely growing faster than those with Mammas, but they are also boring. Don't seem like living beings for some reason but just gobbling blobs. And they are growing so fast!

Anyhow, this is fun! So far everyone has been healthy except one chick who seems to have eaten too much sawdust, and a bit of sugar water seems to have cured it.

Anyway, that's my update. I look forward to catching up!

Blooie - I hope she perks up... Tell her do get more oyster shells in her diet (or calcium of some kind!). That's all I can suggest. I have layer feed with my ladies and it doesn't seem to have enough Calcium in it for them, so I crush up our oyster shells and it solved the problem very quickly. I was getting some very thin shelled, a broken one, and a rubbery one before I thought of it. Even giving them egg shells wasn't enough.

Well ladies (and gents), I have been gone for a while. This full time mom of 3 kids aged 1,3, and 5 is rather a busy time, as well as 56 chicks that are 10 days old, and a new Maremma puppy (12 weeks). Oh, and then there are the 6 hens, rooster, pet cat and dog! And DH is gone for 2 weeks at a time! OY! I never realize what I'm doing until I write it down, and wouldn't have it any other way (except with DH home more!)

Anyway, thought I'd check in. 10 days ago we got 56 chicks:
25 Meat birds - a "heritage" Mistral Gris that is supposed to be about 6-9lbs in 12-14 weeks,
10 Ameraucana
10 Light Sussex (suppose to be winter layers)
5 Caramel Queen (sex link cross of some sort)
and 6 Marans

Hoping to build up my laying flock and sell some rainbow eggs, and have some good meat in the meantime.

I managed to find 2 broody hens, one that had just gone broody and is a bantam, so I got her and shoved 5 eggs under her, and one ISA Brown (they aren't supposed to go broody) who is being Momma to 16 of the chicks in a chicken tractor outside. It is so nice to see chicks with their Mamma to compare the literature on "how to brood chicks" to what really happens. I would definitely only do laying chicks with broodies from now on.

(Day 2 - successful adoption! I stuck them underneath her the night before)

As for the birds in the brooders (an old bathtub for the meaties, and a large cardboard box for the mixed layers), They are definitely growing faster than those with Mammas, but they are also boring. Don't seem like living beings for some reason but just gobbling blobs. And they are growing so fast!

Anyhow, this is fun! So far everyone has been healthy except one chick who seems to have eaten too much sawdust, and a bit of sugar water seems to have cured it.

Anyway, that's my update. I look forward to catching up!

Great to hear from you. Love the coop. I sounds like you have got it going on. A little busy?
lau.gif

@ Windy Bay Farm
How's they weather going now. I have been concerned. Nobody around here has bad weather. Just heat. I got my babies (all 13) out in the small coop and boy are they loving it. Fermented feed, shade and lot of water and a frozen water bottle. They didn't know what to do with that one.
gig.gif
But the big girls love theirs. When I got it last night it was flattened some like they are been standing on it. I use thicker bottles.

Last edited:
Great to hear from you.   Love the coop.    I sounds like you have got it going on.  A little busy?    :lau
LOL! some days it feels ridiculously busy, some days I feel like I have all the free time in the world! I guess it depends on a lot of things (sleep, emergency clean up of broken glass, kids getting along, errands, the weather, how many adults I have spoken to lately...). Nice to be back, though I don't have much time to keep up on this busy forum!

We've missed you, Miss Sunshine! But it sounds like the people and critters who matter most have your undivided attention, and that's as it should be! We'll take every little bit of Sunshine we can get and we are patient enough to wait right here until you get opportunities to stop in!

I'll tell Beatrice to get at those oyster shells. Maybe if I tell her that her hiney won't hurt so bad if she does that she'll get with it! I guess if she's acting like a normal chicken most of the time whatever is going wrong with her egg wiring will sort itself out.

The chickens are outside carrying on like someone gave them a little bit of paradise. Ken took a block of frozen pitted cherries out to them a few minutes ago. We took them off our cherry tree year before last and they were so sour! I made a pie and put in 5 cups of sugar instead of the 4 it called for and we couldn't eat it. Even ice cream on top didn't cut the sour. So last year we harvested a little later, thinking they'd sweeten up a little (it's a sour cherry tree, but sheesh!) and when I made the pie I wound up putting 8 cups of sugar. No good. So we'll put what we still have left in the freezer out for the girls when it's hot like today and get rid of them. Then the orioles, the western tanagers and the robins can have what's on the tree. I even tried to make cherry jelly with them and that was terrible too.

Still watching the weather and worrying about all the fine folks we know out on the East Coast. Rachel said it's been raining hard non-stop for quite some time. Baby Landyn loves sitting at the patio window giggling when rain runs down the glass. Takes so little to entertain them sometimes!

Kenny, Jenny, Katiebug and Kendra are coming for a barbeque later, then they'll go to their house and sit on their deck so if Kendra gets upset they can just take her inside, and we'll sit in the lounge chairs on the north side of our house and we'll watch the town fireworks. Actually we have no choice - the guy who owns S&L Industries here in town puts on a town wide, free for everyone cookout at his house but that's usually a little too crowded for us. We can see everyone anyway...he lives across the street so there are cars lined up for blocks, and most of them walk right past the house and stop to visit on their way. Then he puts on a fireworks show to rival any in any big city I've ever seen. Last year he had $20,000 - and yes, you read that right - worth of fireworks and he's got people who know what they're doing synchronizing the show to music and the whole bit. Problem is, like I said, he lives across the street. <sigh> The firetruck parks in our driveway for the event. We didn't know about this the first year we lived here - we'd moved in on June 16th - and I lost a valuable teacup. I collect them, and had one from a country which no longer exists. (Selisia) I have them in display shelves hanging on the wall. The concussions were so strong that they knocked several cups off, and the only one that broke was the one I can't replace. We learned....we tuck them all back deep into the shelves and hang pillow cases over them.

Katie has something called "hypercusis", which is common in Austism. We thought for the first few years that she was just afraid of the fireworks, but her reactions far exceed terror. First she'd cry and tremble. As it went on she'd go from trembling to shaking, then she'd almost stand catatonic and wet herself. But then her geneticist diagnosed her with Hyperaccusis and told us that Hyperaccusis makes loud sounds painful because her hearing is so acute and sensitive. Kids with autism process external stimuli differently that kids who don't have it. He explained that it's like when someone puts their mouth right up to your ear and screams - that's the pain she feels. So Ken and I usually took her out of town for the evening. Sometimes we'd go up to Frog Rock (a local landmark) so she could look down on Cowley and see the display but not hear it as much. But that's good for just the big display.....here in Cowley the 4th of July starts June 20th and runs until August 20th. People start shooting off fireworks whenever the mood hits as it gets closer to the Fourth, on the Fourth, and well after, so you never know when to expect it. Then there's Cowley Days the last weekend in July, when the population explodes from about 600 to 2000 with people coming home for it. The Saturday that kicks off Cowley Days a couple of guys drive around town in a pickup and shoot off a cannon - at about 5 am. They stop at every intersection in town so nobody gets "left out." That's really bad - scares the he// out of people when it goes off even though we know it's coming. For Katie it was pants-wetting terror. So the first thing I did when I was elected to town council was make a simple request. I knew as an outsider coming in I couldn't ask the town to give up a tradition that is almost as old as Cowley is - it began on the first anniversary of Cowley's incorporation and they used to do it by setting off dynamite at the spot where the town shop is now - for one little girl. Instead I showed them the geneticist's report and requested that they skip our intersection. Simple as that. They did more than that - they bought her a cute little set of noise blocking headphones (she already had some but it was the thought), reduced the charge in the cannon, and avoid shooting in a four block radius. We still hear it, of course, and Katie sleeps in her headphones on Cowley Days. She usually wakes up, crawls into bed with Kenny and Jenny, and goes back to sleep now. But at our intersection, the kids' house is just kitty corner from ours, so the cannon shot used to be right by Katie's bedroom window. That's followed by fireworks for the Cowley Corn Cookout in late August.

Anyway, last year Jamie and Rachel were here over the 4th with baby Landyn, who was then just over 3 months old. Katie asked me if we could set the lawn chairs out and watch the fireworks, just us two girls. I wasn't sure that was a good idea, but she was determined to try. So we put in her foam ear plugs, then her headphones, a lot of insect repellent, and she sat on my lap with the lounge chairs fully reclined so we wouldn't miss a thing. She shook and jumped a few times during the test shots, and then she asked me, "Do you think Landyn's afraid?" Ken, Jamie, and Rachel were sitting in the living room with the lights turned out watching the fireworks. I told her I didn't know.....but he had his mommy and daddy and they'd make him feel safe. She said, "I had you and Grampa and my mom and dad, and I was still afraid because it hurts." Then she took off her headphones, pulled the foam ear plugs out of her ears, and informed me that she wanted me to take them in to Landyn. "Are you sure, Bug?" She nodded, then told me to hurry. So I ran them into the house, saw that Landyn had earplugs in already, and was sound asleep in Rachel's arms. Everyone was so proud of Katie for being so brave and sharing with the baby. And then I did what any good gramma would do - I went outside and lied to my trusting little granddaughter. As we got settled back into our chairs, I told her that Landyn wasn't too scared, but that he would do better with the ear plugs, and she had fixed it so Landyn could enjoy the fireworks as much as she was going to. When we went inside after the show, Rachel mad a big production out of showing Katie landyn wearing the earplugs and she and Jamie thanked her profusely. She just beamed.

This morning she called me and asked if she could watch the fireworks with me again. "And Gramma," she said. "I gave Kendra a set of earplugs and my old Cowley headphones. She should be fine with Mom and Dad." Thank you Katie, and thank you little tomato plant. Now all I have to worry about is how the chickens are going to react.

Back
Top Bottom