The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Kathy, I'm sorry to hear that you hatched all boys from Pine Grove. I got eggs from him shortly after you did and I had a poor hatch rate, 4 eggs from 20. The post office has not been kind to any of my shipped eggs this year.
sad.png
But I got 3 pullets and one roo. I would have loved to see pics of other pullets from his stock to compare with my girls
roll.png

I need to get some updated pics of my Reds because I am very pleased with I am seeing. I would also like to get opinions from the experts on the forum who can see what my biassed eyes can't.

Quote:
I hatched 7 out of a dozen (I think) eggs. One chick drowned in the water dish, and one I killed when I sat the feeder dish on it, I guess. Anyway I found it under the feeder the next day.
he.gif
I very much wanted William's stock ..... I am his biggest fan and always show off his pictures.
lol.png

The flock of pullets with great type and color belong to Don Nelson of Rhode Island .

The other Rhode Island Red pictures are the old Mohawk Line from Mrs Donald Donadson Line of 1967. Those are pictures I took of a very young cockerel to show a beginner what the brick shape was like in a young bird. This male had this extended keel and brick shape from 2 weeks of age to that date. He grew up to be one of the best males I ever raised. The other male and females came from a fram of a VCR vidio 18 years ago. His shape was just something to behold and when you see a flock of birds with this classic Heritage look you dont see very much any more. The picture on the bottom is a picture taken by Art Schilling in 1928 of the famous Mowhawk V owned and breed by Maurice Wallace of Canada and sold to Mrs. Donaldson of Decatur Georgia in 1929 for $150. The Rhode Island Red monument is still present in adamsville, Rhode Island and was built by donations of selling a fob key type chain for $1.80 The Red club sold about 2,000 fobs and for a cost of about $1,800 in the 1920s. I have somewhere the words on this plaque and will post when I locate it. There was also a postage stamp in the 1950s with the Rhode Island Red on it. Not many chickens ever got on a postage stamp. Thanks for asking.

Back in the 60's, when I was a wee tot, my dad bought my sister and me each a chicken. She got a Rhode Island and I got a barred Rock. I have no idea if they were heritage or not, but the Rhode Island has been a favorite of mine since. I do have production reds now, but have always wished I could have heritage. Seeing this thread has gotten me excited about them again.
Do you know if there are any heritage RIR's near me?

Quote:
Dave has Single Comb Reds.

David Anderson
1947 Grand Avenue , Fillmore, CA 93015

Chris

Quote:
Scroll down here:
http://quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=61

THE RHODE ISLAND RED

TO COMMEMORATE THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE
RHODE ISLAND RED BREEDING FOWL WHICH
WAS ORIGINATED NEAR THIS LOCATION.

RED FOWLS WERE BRED EXTENSIVELY BY
THE FARMERS OF THIS DISTRICT AND LATER
NAMED 'RHODE ISLAND REDS' AND BROUGHT INTO
NATIONAL PROMINENCE BY THE POULTRY FANCIERS.

THIS TABLET IS PLACED BY THE
RHODE ISLAND RED CLUB OF AMERICA
WITH CONTRIBUTIONS OF RHODE ISLAND RED
BREEDERS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
ON LAND DONATED BY
DEBORAH T. MANCHESTER.

Stamp:
68228_rristamp.jpg

Last edited:
Information below from varies R.I. Red sites and Books
The Rhode Island Red’s origin can be dated back to the middle 1840’s and one of the oldest breed of chicken to be developed in America.
The States of Rhode Island and Massachusetts should get the most credit for the development of the
Rhode Island Red breed. Poultry farmers in the area wanted a breed of hen that would produce a good amount of eggs a year and still dress out nice as a meat breed.
Breeds that make up the R.I. Red are the Chittagong (Light Brahma Brahmas), Red Shanghai (Cochin), Black Breasted Malay and the Red Malay.
Historians believe that a man by the name Captain Richard Wheatland that lived in Rhode Island around 1846 is the person responsible for the rich red color of the Rhode Island Red we see today.
The early Rhode Island Red sported three types of combs, two of which we still have today.
The first is the Pea comb that may owe its pea comb to the Chittagong, second the Single comb that got it’s comb from the Cochin and the third is the Rose comb that received it’s combed from the Shanghai.

In 1954 the governor of Rhode Island signed into law that the Rhode Island Red chicken would be the state bird of Rhode Island.

Information below from The Rhode Island Chronicles.
The Rhode Island Red color pattern is a modified Columbian color pattern that may have came from the Brahma blood that was used in the making of this breed.
The first modification to the Columbian color pattern in the development of the Rhode Island Red was to replace the white with red. Note that in the American Standard of Perfection, it says any bird with a entirely white feather showing in the surface is a disqualification. The second modification was to remove the black pigmentation from all but the wing and tail in the male; and the same for the female with some black ticking remaining at the base of her hackles almost like a necklace. At the end what we have is a Rhode Island Red that has become entirely a rich red with black pigmentation left only in the tail and on one side of the wing feathers and some black ticking remaining at the base of the hens hackles.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom