The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Do some of these HRIRs mate for life? My oldest hatched in 2010 will not lay since the HRIR rooster was killed by a predator, she won't have anything to do with any of the younger 1 yr old HRIRs, strangest thing I have ever seen. Have put her in a separate pen with a nest and she does not lay. Seems to be healthy and bossy but could care less about laying or even the other roosters.
Maybe she'll take a fancy to one of these JimmyJay youngsters coming on.

Do some of these HRIRs mate for life? My oldest hatched in 2010 will not lay since the HRIR rooster was killed by a predator, she won't have anything to do with any of the younger 1 yr old HRIRs, strangest thing I have ever seen. Have put her in a separate pen with a nest and she does not lay. Seems to be healthy and bossy but could care less about laying or even the other roosters.
Maybe she'll take a fancy to one of these JimmyJay youngsters coming on.

Chickens don't pair bond.

If you are looking for feed store roosters, they abound on CL this time of the yr.

I sure did not think this thread was a great place to find info on obtaining the production strain. Threads are sorted the way they are for a reason.
Oh my goodness. WOW
D.gif

no more free lunches lol.

Last edited:
Chickens don't pair bond.oste

Hmmm. I don't believe they bond in the way swans or eagles do, but I have several hens that have formed close bonds with hatch mates (other hens as well as roosters.) Note that mine all free range except when I confine breeding groups for certain periods. The roosters will breed whatever hens I put with them but when free to choose, they all have their cliques.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom