The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

The power was out for 4+ hours and the garage was dark and drafty...so they got the fireplace treatment :) The dog was quite happy to have his babies close by!

They're pretty feathered out, but still a couple of downy spots. They love being outside, but we went from 90F on Tuesday to about 45F for a high yesterday. Looking like it's going to warm back up tomorrow. They've been having a field day chasing ants!

I'm thinking Beverly might turn into Jean-Luc Picard ;) The comb hasn't changed much in size over the past 2 weeks but s/he was the fastest feathering chick of my flock. When should green feathers start to appear that might be the obvious sign of a roo?

I'm thinking Beverly might turn into Jean-Luc Picard ;) The comb hasn't changed much in size over the past 2 weeks but s/he was the fastest feathering chick of my flock. When should green feathers start to appear that might be the obvious sign of a roo?
I have to agree, with cmmom and your instincts, that looks like a Jean-Luc Picard! I love the names! I used to name all my birds when I was younger, now I'm, "Red leg band number 85." :lol:

My cockerels feather out slower, have thicker legs, and have a meaty, feather patched, dinosaur look. Your birds are light in color, and look like production line Reds. It's hard to say when you will first notice the green. I can see it on some birds in a month (like a little patch in the tail, or something small), but it probably isn't obvious till about 2- 3 months. Production line birds tend to mature faster, so maybe you will see it before then.

Here are two pictures of 1 month olds. The top is a pullet, the bottom is a cockerel.
IMG_1735.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going to put this out there and see who might be interested. I have 3 hens and 1 rooster who just turned 1 year old along with 10-15 chicks hatched this spring. These birds are out of a quad that Bob Blosl brought to me august 2013 several months before he passed away. I have held on to the birds out of sentiment towards Bob but I think I'm ready to move them on to someone who might have more of an interest in them. These are literally the last large fowl reds Bob ever owned. I am located just north of Pensacola Florida. If anybody is interested please drop me a line.
Regards,
Anthony

I'm going to put this out there and see who might be interested. I have 3 hens and 1 rooster who just turned 1 year old along with 10-15 chicks hatched this spring. These birds are out of a quad that Bob Blosl brought to me august 2013 several months before he passed away. I have held on to the birds out of sentiment towards Bob but I think I'm ready to move them on to someone who might have more of an interest in them. These are literally the last large fowl reds Bob ever owned. I am located just north of Pensacola Florida. If anybody is interested please drop me a line.
Regards,
Anthony
do you have any pictures
photosmile.gif

Back
Top Bottom