The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
Yes, they do take awhile to start laying. I want to say 8-9 months. They come into lay pretty strong and consistent. An egg every other day on average. They lay pretty good, then just stop. And I mean stop...Then outta the blue they start again...fair consistency at best.
The roosters sometimes take their sweet time finding their stones which really threw my breeding schedule off this past year.
Once he got going, fertility was great most of the time. You could tell he had his favorite go to girl.
I had good hatches, and my girl numbers are up! So hope to have even better production really soon. I have 4 red pens set up as we speak.
The birds and feather quality really take some time. These are some slow ever evolving birds that don't really come into their own till at least a year. I am trying a couple different things this year and so far the results are promising. Right now I am kind of at an up and down time with eggs.

Folks, I would love to get some more actual bird pics up as I love sharing them. I had some up and took them down almost immediately. I was contacted privately, and found that people where using MY pics of MY Chickens to benefit themselves. I don't mind if people share my pics for pleasure and looking and admiration, but for financial benefit to sell birds that don't represent the true breed and variety was just appalling. I am trying to get a splash mark going for all my pics so if anyone has advice in that area, I am all ears.

As for eggs, please contact me privately.

I am also looking for some true, outstanding quality Rhode Island Red Rose comb bantams.
If anyone has any and wanting to trade for some standards, let me know...

Our pullet hatched on Feb 6th and she started laying the first week of August. We have two others who hatched on the same date but haven't started laying yet.

Ours are from Duane Urch in Owatonna, MN. These photos were taken August 7th.

40359_img_1154.jpg

40359_img_1113.jpg

Quote:
Yes, they do take awhile to start laying. I want to say 8-9 months. They come into lay pretty strong and consistent. An egg every other day on average. They lay pretty good, then just stop. And I mean stop...Then outta the blue they start again...fair consistency at best.
The roosters sometimes take their sweet time finding their stones which really threw my breeding schedule off this past year.
Once he got going, fertility was great most of the time. You could tell he had his favorite go to girl.
I had good hatches, and my girl numbers are up! So hope to have even better production really soon. I have 4 red pens set up as we speak.
The birds and feather quality really take some time. These are some slow ever evolving birds that don't really come into their own till at least a year. I am trying a couple different things this year and so far the results are promising. Right now I am kind of at an up and down time with eggs.

Folks, I would love to get some more actual bird pics up as I love sharing them. I had some up and took them down almost immediately. I was contacted privately, and found that people where using MY pics of MY Chickens to benefit themselves. I don't mind if people share my pics for pleasure and looking and admiration, but for financial benefit to sell birds that don't represent the true breed and variety was just appalling. I am trying to get a splash mark going for all my pics so if anyone has advice in that area, I am all ears.

I am also looking for some true, outstanding quality Rhode Island Red Rose comb bantams.

Thanks for the info, Thunderwagn
smile.png

Quote:

Thanks for the info, Thunderwagn
smile.png

I never heard of someone using our pictures to say thier eggs or chicks will look like this. This is fraud. You have to becarefull as some of these people are in it for the money and you better ask us first befor you buy eggs on ebay or where ever. There are very few people who have these kind of people and if they do send you scrubs we need to make sure you turn them into the web site as they are not honest sellers.

One thing you need to ask yourself is if I select females that feather super fast over threee to five years and you find that lost Moahawk gene say in my old strain you will have females start laying earlyer than 9 months. The reason they will have the fast feathering gene going for you.

I myself am not interested in how early they lay as I may only want to hatch in a certain time per year. In my bantams we will be feeding them scratch up to about February and then turn them onto egg layer 20 % so I can get them laying in March into May. I dont want to hatch chicks in bantams in Jan or Feb because they always are to large.

In my large fowl white rocks I am breeding from I will be truning the lights on in late October and hope they start pushing eggs out in Dec and January. I need to hatch these guys early as they need time during the spring to get to normal size which is one pound over standard weight.

The Urch line of R I Reds are good ones. He should also have good Rose Combs as he did 10 years ago. He has a old strain going back 30 years from some great breeders in Minn who are in Red Heven right now. bob

I never heard of someone using our pictures to say thier eggs or chicks will look like this. This is fraud. You have to becarefull as some of these people are in it for the money and you better ask us first befor you buy eggs on ebay or where ever. There are very few people who have these kind of people and if they do send you scrubs we need to make sure you turn them into the web site as they are not honest sellers.

Exactly why I took the pics down. And it was not anything on this BYC site. It was for financial gain as far as I could tell. Regardless, they used my pics to try and sell their goods...​

Back
Top Bottom