The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I love orpingtons....got my first buffs two years ago and they are so sweet....I am looking for blue orps, spangled and jubilee to complete my flock of egg layers....if anyone is NPIP and has some pretty birds from which they would be willing to sell hatching eggs please PM me.

Thanks very much
Cate

Hi @SugarHill ,

I have a variety of colors of American and English Orpingtons (lavender, blue, black, chocolate, chocolate cuckoo, and Jubilee), but my breeding stock are all molting and there is very little laying going on. That's true for most breeders except perhaps those living in southern Florida with its longer days. It's honestly not a great time to hatch eggs since you'd have to keep the chicks inside for at least 5-6 weeks until they had all their first set of feathers due to the imminent onset of cold weather.

I'm near Indianapolis, if you want to keep me in mind for next year. I only sell Jubilees as chicks because of their relatively poor hatch rates (a bird in the hand is, in this case, literally worth two in the bush).

Mary

Hi @SugarHill ,

I have a variety of colors of American and English Orpingtons (lavender, blue, black, chocolate, chocolate cuckoo, and Jubilee), but my breeding stock are all molting and there is very little laying going on. That's true for most breeders except perhaps those living in southern Florida with its longer days. It's honestly not a great time to hatch eggs since you'd have to keep the chicks inside for at least 5-6 weeks until they had all their first set of feathers due to the imminent onset of cold weather.

I'm near Indianapolis, if you want to keep me in mind for next year. I only sell Jubilees as chicks because of their relatively poor hatch rates (a bird in the hand is, in this case, literally worth two in the bush).

Mary

YIKES, I just got 7 Jubilee eggs. Not thrilled to hear they have poor hatch rates being that these were shipped and my chances are low to start
fl.gif

Hi @SugarHill ,

Mary
Hi just wondering how your chocolate cuckoos are doing? Any recent pics & weights? wanted to compare them to mine. I kept a pair and the cockerel has really turned nice is slightly above 6 lbs now. He started crowing at 14 weeks but I put him together where my rooster is and that suppressed it (I am glad) The pullet is also very nice looking up only a shade above 4 lbs (although she looks a lot bigger). Kind of bummed about that. Her chocolate sister for comparison is above 5 lbs but has not as fluffy looking like her.

Hi there everybody! So after something like a year of searching, I finally acquired a Jubilee Orpington hen to go with my Jubilee Benedict. As pretty as his crossbred babies are, I'm excited to produce some purebreds next spring. She's just gorgeous! Still no name yet, though. Here she is last week.

I also have a question regarding Benedict - do the Jubilees come in both American and English form? Because after doing a bit of research into it, Benny really looks more American than English. Can anybody help me out?

I purchased him as an 8 month old a little over 2 years ago, and he was the first breeder stock bird I ever purchased - I didn't even know English/American Orpingtons were different, so it didn't occur to me to ask the breeder. If he is American, what will happen if I breed him with my new English Jubilee hen? Will I get chicks in between American and English type?

Hi there everybody! So after something like a year of searching, I finally acquired a Jubilee Orpington hen to go with my Jubilee Benedict. As pretty as his crossbred babies are, I'm excited to produce some purebreds next spring. She's just gorgeous! Still no name yet, though. Here she is last week.

She is beautiful! I wish I could find a local breeder. I don't know a thing about the difference between English and American and I can't wait to read the replies. Good questions.

My Jubilees are just starting to mature. Unfortunately I still have them in with my Lavenders and that is the dominant rooster so I don't know I I'll get any pure Jubilees until I get rid of my Buff Orpingtons to make room. I really like how the roosters have filled out over the last few weeks.

I also have a question regarding Benedict - do the Jubilees come in both American and English form? Because after doing a bit of research into it, Benny really looks more American than English. Can anybody help me out?

I purchased him as an 8 month old a little over 2 years ago, and he was the first breeder stock bird I ever purchased - I didn't even know English/American Orpingtons were different, so it didn't occur to me to ask the breeder. If he is American, what will happen if I breed him with my new English Jubilee hen? Will I get chicks in between American and English type?

I own a Jubilee Orp hen, but I've seen some gorgeous Jubilee English type Roos. In my limited experience he looks a lot like a speckled Sussex to me.

Hmm. Certainly making me think. He was sold as a Jubilee - 2 generations out of Greenfire stock or something like that. I'd agree with Speckled Sussex, except I don't think he can be; he's massive, maybe 12-13 pounds, and he's bright red; all Speckled I've seen are dark, almost black. Here's his color in the sun; no filters or tampering, and one of the rare times I've been able to capture his color properly in a photo.

Back
Top Bottom