The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
What kind of success are people having hatching their own eggs (eggs from your own birds as opposed to shipped)? I had someone tell me today that a local breeder complained of low hatch rates and suggested that the whole breed was that way. Mine are just about to start laying and I'm curious if what to expect.

I have had several people tell me the fertility rate was low in Jubilees.

I
I also culled 13 Lavender Orpington shipped eggs:(   The first time I incubated I set 16 shipped eggs, 13 clears and 3 made it to lockdown.  Only 2 hatched.  I'm hoping one of the two is a roo so I can try my own eggs next year.

I bought some local Lavender eggs and had a low hatch rate but so far my eggs have hatched well. The guy stored eggs on his kitchen counter and in a later conversation said that he didn't realize that stored eggs "got old". My Lavenders look pretty good and I'm excited about raising up a few more hens to add to my flock.

I don't do shipped eggs anymore.

Trim butts. Always trim butts. I have heard many complain about how finicky Orpingtons are in mating. I think it boils down to them being happy. I have no problem with my BBS, CHolclates, Lemons, and lavenders. I think hens do better with Roos they are raised with.

I admit I do not have Jubilees as of yet, but my local Jubilee owners said fertility was fair.

What I wan to know is what is your average egg production?

I don't do shipped eggs anymore.

Trim butts. Always trim butts. I have heard many complain about how finicky Orpingtons are in mating. I think it boils down to them being happy. I have no problem with my BBS, CHolclates, Lemons, and lavenders. I think hens do better with Roos they are raised with.

I admit I do not have Jubilees as of yet, but my local Jubilee owners said fertility was fair.

What I wan to know is what is your average egg production?

I trimmed my Jubilee and Lavenders but I might have jumped the gun before their adult molt (they mature slowly...especially the Jubilees). Not all my girls have started laying...maybe none if the Jubilees yet. I need to get rid of my Buff Orpingtons so I can divide the Lavenders from the Jubilees but I hate to get rid of productive birds before their replacements start to lay. I'd love to just keep them all but my wife wouldn't be happy. In order to get chickens I had to promise to top it off at 15...and I have over 50...

I trimmed my Jubilee and Lavenders but I might have jumped the gun before their adult molt (they mature slowly...especially the Jubilees). Not all my girls have started laying...maybe none if the Jubilees yet. I need to get rid of my Buff Orpingtons so I can divide the Lavenders from the Jubilees but I hate to get rid of productive birds before their replacements start to lay. I'd love to just keep them all but my wife wouldn't be happy. In order to get chickens I had to promise to top it off at 15...and I have over 50...
lau.gif
5 years ago I convinced my husband to let me get 6. Today we have 340. Admittedly 300 of them are for our egg opperation, but I just keep breeding for better egg colors and of course I have my orpington obsession!

Thanks to my hubby for being sooo indulgent. If we lived close I'd get your buffs!!!!!

I

I bought some local Lavender eggs and had a low hatch rate but so far my eggs have hatched well. The guy stored eggs on his kitchen counter and in a later conversation said that he didn't realize that stored eggs "got old". My Lavenders look pretty good and I'm excited about raising up a few more hens to add to my flock.
They are pretty. Is that a chocolate or jubilee in the back ground?

trimmed?? ah what's 50... just a little more than 15, lol. Too funny!

lau.gif
5 years ago I convinced my husband to let me get 6. Today we have 340. Admittedly 300 of them are for our egg opperation, but I just keep breeding for better egg colors and of course I have my orpington obsession!

Thanks to my hubby for being sooo indulgent. If we lived close I'd get your buffs!!!!!
WOW, that's a lot of chickens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom