The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Can you post photos of the birds?

[/IMG][/IMG]

This is one of the ones outside . She couldn't get good pics of them all . They all look alike pretty much she said .

Last edited:
Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered:

I picked up a breeding quad over the winter and have yet to see a single egg from them. They are 2-2.5 years of age. I'm currently getting eggs from all my other chickens, including other orps, but nothing from my jubilees. I have had them for 4 weeks.

Any thoughts? Is it normal for jubilees to hold out long on light/temp when coming back into lay?

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered:

I picked up a breeding quad over the winter and have yet to see a single egg from them. They are 2-2.5 years of age. I'm currently getting eggs from all my other chickens, including other orps, but nothing from my jubilees. I have had them for 4 weeks.

Any thoughts? Is it normal for jubilees to hold out long on light/temp when coming back into lay?
my guess would be they are just still adjusting to the move and the winter combined. I took in a leghorn from my sister in the fall (she lost all the others to a fox) and I have yet to get an egg from it.. and it was laying daily.

I have the same issue from my Lavender Ameraucanas. I got them in Nov and still no eggs. I'm soon to be moving them to a new breeding pen with more space. I'm hopping that with warmer weather will get her to lay!

Has anyone ever seen faint chipmunk striping in the down of their newly hatched Jubilee chicks? I have one, with the down still somewhat damp, that has faint chipmunk striping. I KNOW it is a purebred Jubilee, unless my hens have mastered the art of teleportation! I am only breeding lavender, black-lav split, and Jubilees right now, and so even if I mis-marked an egg, the color from Day 1 makes it obvious of what color the little Orpington is going to be.

This is only the second Jubilee chick I have hatched, and the first chick did not show this. From my limited reading, in breeds that have it, chipmunk striping is more common in females than in males. The chick I hatched previously looked like a future roo to me, based upon its prominent comb for a newly hatched chick. This second chick does not have a prominent comb at all. It would be handy if the temporary striping means it's a pullet!

I suspect that this chipmunk striping is going to be invisible or barely visible by the time the down fully dries.

Thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom