The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Just around the vent. I honestly have only done it on my Wyandottes but the fluffier the butt the more they need a cut! They will still look fluffy...just trim a bit around the vent...maybe a centimeter in every direction.

Huh. I have a trio of Wyandotte. I haven't ever done it to them... but they may get trimmed too! Thanks!

I trim all my hens, and occasionally a roo, down the point where they resemble a hatchery hen in the back. That means roughly an inch or more is removed, and I go out about 3 inches in all directions from the cloaca, including the lower part of the tail (not very far). I only leave 1/2" to 3/4" of plumage in that zone. It worked well for my Jubilees in terms of fertility (though not in hatchability), and I just did it for a group of new English blue Orps that just finished quarantine.

Question for the admins: Is it forbidden to advertise chicks or birds on this thread? The rules vary from thread to thread, and I don't want to violate the rules. At minimum, is it OK to post photos of chicks and let human nature take its course if someone wants to PM the poster to see if they are for sale, or if more are coming?

Thank you.

Last edited:
So if you cross a conventional Jubilee roo over a blue Orp hen, what's the typical ratio of chicks? Are they also hatched yellow and get color in a week or so, or what? THANKS in advance!
You will get anything from black/blue to red chicks.
Then you cross the most reddish ones (with blue) with each other and you will get blue jubilee.

So if you cross a conventional Jubilee roo over a blue Orp hen, what's the typical ratio of chicks? Are they also hatched yellow and get color in a week or so, or what? THANKS in advance!

As mentioned earlier, I crossed a jubilee cockerel with a splash hen.
You'll get the same chicks + black colored downs as @SanderB explained. I don't think you'll see lots of red those first weeks.

Here are my jubilee x splash and jubilee x blue laced gold chicks at one week old :

jubilee x splash

jubilee x blue laced gold

As mentioned earlier, I crossed a jubilee cockerel with a splash hen.
You'll get the same chicks + black colored downs as @SanderB explained. I don't think you'll see lots of red those first weeks.

Here are my jubilee x splash and jubilee x blue laced gold chicks at one week old :

jubilee x splash

jubilee x blue laced gold

Last edited:
@mollybuck

I saved some pictures on my computer that aren't mine but from a Belgian breeder of Asseels.
Hope to see you start the blue jubilee project!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom