The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Started working on blue jubilee Wyandotte bantams.
Crossed a jubilee cockerel with splash hens and a blue laced golden hen.
In 2016, the F1 will be put together with a jubilee cockerel.
How were the blue jubilee Orpingtons created?
Anybody with pictures of the F1/F2/F... or valuable tips?
Always happy to hear opinions and/or critique.

I'm curious as to why you used the Wyandotte. Now you have mixed breeds. Most people making blue Jubilees are breeding Jubilee roos to blue hens then breeding all the F1's back to a Jubilee roo. When you do that, 1/8 statistically will get all three genes necessary to be a true blue Jubilee Orpington. I would not use any of the Wyandotte offspring personally.

I'm curious as to why you used the Wyandotte. Now you have mixed breeds. Most people making blue Jubilees are breeding Jubilee roos to blue hens then breeding all the F1's back to a Jubilee roo. When you do that, 1/8 statistically will get all three genes necessary to be a true blue Jubilee Orpington. I would not use any of the Wyandotte offspring personally.

For one simple reason : I breed Wyandotte bantams and not Orpingtons
smile.png

That might not have been clear in my previous post.
I joined this thread to learn from the breeding experience the Orpington breeders have, just as I joined the speckled Sussex thread.
It is not my intention to bore you with the Wyandotte breed, but I have to look for knowledge elsewhere since this color is very rare among the Wyandottes.
I did not use blue hens but I used splash hens instead, so I wouldn't have had any black offspring this first year that would not have been of any use to me.
Next year the F1 hens will be used with a jubilee Wyandotte bantam cockerel. I expect 1/16 to look more or less like blue jubilee.

At what age do jubilees start laying?? I got 3 straight run chicks on may 7 and the 3 of them are pullets

Back
Top Bottom