The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Haha..., I should have said Cincinnati, Ohio.
Paducah is 3 hrs 38 min. away.

I also have one English mottled spangled Orphington roo. I was sent around 28 eggs from two separate places this year. I also hatched frizzle bantams. Talk about bad luck, I hatched a total of 10 total. Out of the frizzles, I have 2 hens, and 7 roo's. I hatched 3 (supposedly) jubs. Apparently, one of the eggs which is the mottled, got in by mistake. They are all roo's. I don't think I've ever met a sweeter bird, but I can't keep all these roosters. I had to separate them yesterday, because the frizzles started fighting with each other. What a mess I have now. All I ever wanted was some pretty chickens, and eggs! Lol

Haha..., I should have said Cincinnati, Ohio.
Paducah is 3 hrs 38 min. away.

I also have one English mottled spangled Orphington roo. I was sent around 28 eggs from two separate places this year. I also hatched frizzle bantams. Talk about bad luck, I hatched a total of 10 total. Out of the frizzles, I have 2 hens, and 7 roo's. I hatched 3 (supposedly) jubs. Apparently, one of the eggs which is the mottled, got in by mistake. They are all roo's. I don't think I've ever met a sweeter bird, but I can't keep all these roosters. I had to separate them yesterday, because the frizzles started fighting with each other. What a mess I have now. All I ever wanted was some pretty chickens, and eggs! Lol

You would probably have good luck on craigslist. I wish I was closer. Not even looking for a Jubilee boy, but my 1 girl is such a stellar bird, I figure if one popped up @ a good deal in my area, why not. Good luck and post lots of photos for is to drool over!!!

Could someone please tell me which of these beautiful birds am I supposed to look for? Is it the deeper dark Mahogany or the brighter red mahogany that I am supposed to look for?

Last edited:
Hello all! I have a couple questions. First I recently purchased a group of 13 Orpingtons aged 3 and 4 months old, from a local breeder who breeds BBS and Jubilees. The breeder was up front and said some maybe show, some pet, and some breeder quality. They were grow outs she decided not to use herself. I got them with the intention of possibly getting a few pullets to add to my existing flock of BBS Orps, and I'm happy to say I did get a few . In the group is 2 jubilee pullets. My original thought was to get a jubilee roo to go with them but... one pullet appears to be rumpless and the others tail is crooked. I have checked both birds physically, the one definitely has no tail and the other is definitely crooked, it's not just feather growth making it look that way. And I recently found out that apparently the original breeder has a rumpless gene in her flock of jubilees. I saw a post from her where she said she thought she had culled it out of her birds, but it was showing up in chicks hatching last spring. Soooo, what should i do with them? Cull? Or use in my layer pen? I'm leaning towards just putting them in my layer pen.

Last edited:
Hello all! I have a couple questions. First I recently purchased a group of 13 Orpingtons aged 3 and 4 months old, from a local breeder who breeds BBS and Jubilees. The breeder was up front and said some maybe show, some pet, and some breeder quality. They were grow outs she decided not to use herself. I got them with the intention of possibly getting a few pullets to add to my existing flock of BBS Orps, and I'm happy to say I did get a few . In the group is 2 jubilee pullets. My original thought was to get a jubilee roo to go with them but... one pullet appears to be rumpless and the others tail is crooked. I have checked both birds physically, the one definitely has no tail and the other is definitely crooked, it's not just feather growth making it look that way. And I recently found out that apparently the original breeder has a rumpless gene in her flock of jubilees. I saw a post from her where she said she thought she had culled it out of her birds, but it was showing up in chicks hatching last spring. Soooo, what should i do with them? Cull? Or use in my layer pen? I'm leaning towards just putting them in my layer pen.
Layer pen. No point wasting an egg layer if you sell eggs for consumption. I had never heard of this rumpless condition in Orps, but am not surprised because the gene pool for Jubilees is so small. I hope you didn't pay much for them. If you did, then I'd ask for a partial refund. They are clearly pet quality chickens and should be priced as such. Just my two cents' worth! Are you also saying the other 11 were cockerels? If so, you were really ripped off if you paid much of anything. While I had one Jubilee cockerel who didn't show his gender until he was pretty old (5 months maybe?), an experienced breeder would have at least had a good inkling of gender by 3-4 months if by no other reason than behavior like chest bumping. Jubilees also grow more slowly than other English Orp colors like BBS, so it takes them longer (more feed!) to get to a decent weight for meat. I'm sorry you have had a less than ideal experience. Unfortunately, it is more likely to happen with Jubilees and the more expensive birds.

Back
Top Bottom