The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

How is everyone's Orps holding up in the weather? Mine are not enjoying the heat. I hosed down the floor and walls in the barn last night to cool it off for them some. I may have to start running the sprinkler in the afternoons for them. I could hear them all breathing last night while I was feeding and watering, and they sounded miserable.

Hello, I have been nosing around on this thread. So many beautiful English Orpington pictures, what’s not to love. I got my fist Orpington eggs from Carolina Rare Chicks and they hatched on May 5th.

Here are my wee ones currently 7 weeks old:
The boys:
IMG_9516.jpeg

IMG_9526.jpeg

The girls
IMG_9539.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg

How is everyone's Orps holding up in the weather? Mine are not enjoying the heat. I hosed down the floor and walls in the barn last night to cool it off for them some. I may have to start running the sprinkler in the afternoons for them. I could hear them all breathing last night while I was feeding and watering, and they sounded miserable.
Mine are doing ok, I dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in their favorite dust bath area every morning and that's where I find them after work, lol

Hello, I have been nosing around on this thread. So many beautiful English Orpington pictures, what’s not to love. I got my fist Orpington eggs from Carolina Rare Chicks and they hatched on May 5th.

Here are my wee ones currently 7 weeks old:
The boys:
View attachment 3560491
View attachment 3560492
The girls
View attachment 3560493
View attachment 3560494
I got some lavender eggs from them, kept 1 pullet and she is big at 9 weeks. Beautiful littles you've got there!

High praise :) I am loving them so far and the olive green eyes are pretty cool 💚
We'll see how I feel about them when they feather out into grown-up plumage.

For those of you that get eggs from Carolina Rare and Papa's Poultry, how do you find their egg-packing skills? I'm so nervous about ordering eggs from anyone because my PO is so hard on them.

@Auntiejessi3 - how did my box of eggs compare to their box of eggs?

For those of you that get eggs from Carolina Rare and Papa's Poultry, how do you find their egg-packing skills? I'm so nervous about ordering eggs from anyone because my PO is so hard on them.

They package differently, they use foam shippers, shavings on the bottom a layer of foam, the eggs in the foam shipper, packing peanuts, then another layer of foam. Both y'all eggs were packaged great!
Edit to add: papa's wraps in bubble wrap and uses shaving in double boxes

They package differently, they use foam shippers, shavings on the bottom a layer of foam, the eggs in the foam shipper, packing peanuts, then another layer of foam. Both y'all eggs were packaged great!
Edit to add: papa's wraps in bubble wrap and uses shaving in double boxes
Hmmm, I may have to give it a try. I'm really needing some new SLO males. I wonder if they'd ship eggs in the fall?

Carolina Rare: They were packed in foam, individually each in their own pocket. One of the 22 eggs I received was broken upon arrival, I ordered 18. I suspect something heavy was on that side of the box during shipping it was the silver laced side of the box. All of those eggs were badly saddled. They started developing but quit every single one of those did not make it. I hatched 6 lost one to umbilical hernia and another to a predator later on. Leaving me with the 4 I currently have.

Overall, Carolina Chicks did very very well with the packing imo. USPS did not do fine.

Back
Top Bottom