The Incubator Thread

What are you keeping your humidity at? You're just over halfway through the development time but the air cell is a couple days away from hatch size. I'd raise the humidity 10% from where you have it, but not higher than 65%, for about three days and candle again. They should not be any larger than they are today. Mark the shadow with pencil before you start for easy reference.

What are you keeping your humidity at?  You're just over halfway through the development time but the air cell is a couple days away from hatch size.  I'd raise the humidity 10% from where you have it, but not higher than 65%, for about three days and candle again.  They should not be any larger than they are today.  Mark the shadow with pencil before you start for easy reference.

It's been about 45 to 55 %

I totally agree...... and I dont even have a Brinsea !......

Brinsea has all the components to get a good hatch including right humidity which others don't unless you go to the$300- $500 ones

Getting your first incubator ... hard to know where to start .What do you need? what don't you need.?Whats important?

I have been on BYC Incubating thread for year and a half most days and see so many ppl who get great hatches with even the Mini Brindea.
. I have never seen anyone say they didn't get some chicks with a Brinsea .

My thinking now for myself is is if i get a dozen eggs and use another incubator say Genesis 1688 for approx. $150 (what i have and its pretty good but not perfect ).......maybe ill get 7 to hatch of the 12 maybe even 11 but maybe ill get only 2. or none .. ...if i get the mini Brinsea approx. $150 i have a lot better chance of getting all 6 to hatch even if it does only hold 6.eggs as it regulates the humidity AND does all that Genesis does too that you NEED to get a good hatch.

Percent wise its much better deal even if the price is similar to a good Styrofoam that holds 42 eggs

.I like the Styrofoam Geneisis 1688 but don't get the % of hatch that i think i would with the Brinsea MY opinion. only.

By the way the Styrofoam itself isn't what you pay for in the Styrofoam bators ...Its the heating element, heat regulator . lit digital heat and humidity read outs plastic water tray ... But yes you can build your own for cheaper if your handy and have time to invest
Some Ive heard work even better than bought do.(.See youtube) Maybe as much or little as $50 to build
A very crude one for fun no heat regulator and a light bulb for heat... for maybe $5 if you have things laying around.

I have built a crude one just for my emergency lockdown spare .

Lower the priced get even less hatch often as the temp jumps around. and Genesis holds the temp exactly where you set it why you pay more for it
Brinsea holds the humidity and temp too why its higher than Genesis and others.

So Basically The more it does to get the optimal hatch the more you pay.

Optimum hatch...You need perfect temps 99.5
holds good humidity
and turns the eggs.
A plus to me is able to see inside
Good Luck!

I own three of these bottom line they work good better than any I have ever used . I love them

Has anyone actually made their own DIY incubator for under $50.  I'm in the process of building one now.  I just bought the thermometer/hygrometer from ebay for $15 and water heater thermostat from ebay for $15.  I got $20 left, but most of the other material I already have at home: 1/4" luan, foam, wood stock, bulb holder, computer fan, plexi glass.  I do need to get a small low RPM motor to rig some kind of egg turner.  I'm just to cheap to drop over $100 on an incubator for the small amount of eggs I plan to hatch.

If anyone has built an incubator, please post any ideas that could help.  Thanks

I made myn! My first time incubating anything honestly and it appears to be working. I used an old 10g fish tank with a fited plywood top and a regular light bulb inserted into it. I ligned the inside with that plastic cardboard stuff and use a dish with paper towel and water to keep humidity. The only money I spent was $10 on a digital thermometer that tells me the humidity.

Last edited:
If that's a chicken egg, I'd shoot for just a touch higher humidity next time. And the embryo size looks a little on the small side for day 16, at least to me. What temps have you been running?

If it's a duck egg, then the air cell looks too big for the timeline, but the embryo size looks about right.

I agree, and they look alot better to me than I expected with humidity that high, but see, that's a good argument for doing what works in your own incubator! Seems these days that most people use much lower humidity, but it wouldn't hurt you to increase just a touch. But I think you are doing great! Good luck the rest of the way
smile.png

It's been about 45 to 55 %

Some of the air cell lines look more flat... less tilt (or maybe its just my perception), but I don't know if that's any issue or not. Anyone know if that matters? My current incubation is lavender orpingtons and some are still really flat, and some are tilted well, day 10. So what's the difference and do the flat ones cause any problems hatching?

Back
Top Bottom