The Incubators Thread!!! Come Join And Learn!!!

AustralorpsAU

Songster
May 20, 2016
Down Under
Hi all!

WELCOME TO 'THE INCUBATORS THREAD!!!'

I thought i would make another thread where we can all join in on each others incubating and learn! The Incubating with friends thread is very fast-paced so i thought i would make another thread hoping for a slower pace. I hope you don't mind @Sally Sunshine @BantyChooks

Anybody is welcome to join and ask questions (i am definitely no expert but I'm sure people with knowledge will come and join and i will try my best to answer)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I NEED HELP!!! This is my first incubation attempt and it is NOT going well
1f630.png
I started with 28 from our own chickens that refuse to go broody. On bad advice from a friend (who has her own chickens and loaned me the incubator so I assumed she knew what she was talking about) we placed ALL of the eggs pointed side UP... By the time I noticed something wasn't right and researched incubation and how to candle, it was too late! ONLY ONE EGG HAS SURVIVED! All of the others were lost by day 10-11 due to the positioning, my temp and humidity have been spot on and the bator has an auto turner. It is now day 24 for this one, lonely little egg. I have been candling it every morning to make sure there is still life and I can see the little guy moving! BUT, no pipping... not internal or external.. I really want this chick to make it!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO??????? I've read that some people make the first pip manually?? Should I try that? I'm so inexperienced that I'm afraid to take action... HELP!!

Hi. It sounds like he may be at the wrong end of the egg! In that case many people do assist with the hatching! I haven't done that before so i can't give you advice how to do it but try this thread and they for sure can help. I think there is even info on their first post! Good luck
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...tychooks-and-many-many-more/530#post_17635295

I have 5 out of 12 eggs left. I just did eggtopsys on 4 of dead ones. I could only figure out what went wrong with one of them. Had an incomplete blood ring and looked like it had died eatly. The oldest one looked to have died on day 15 ish. Not sure fron what... the white was almost absorbed. So just another day or 2 i think. Fully fourmed. Just needed some more down. One looked to have died at day 8. One at day 10 and one on day 11 or 12. And the last on day 15.

There was no pressure or smell in any of the eggs indicating bacteria.

My assumption is that i had them in the fridge before the incubator, so maybe they can hatch from the fridge, but get a bad hatch rate? Maybe they can only grow so much in the shell before running into problems growing.
I have 1 refrigerated egg left alive. I havent had any unrefridgerated ones die yet. So that is my only assumption of what i could have done wrong. Next time i will store at room temp, and hopefully that will help.

It sucks i had so many die, but i still have 5 very healthy chicks fourming. One due on the 18th, one on the 21st. And 3 on the 24th. Hopefully they make it!

I hope that some of those will hatch out for you.

I'm on day 9 w/ a batch from 3 different shipped sources was heart broken when I realized (14 eggs later) my small Brinsea mini temp wasn't calibrated properly 107 when set at 99.5.... Bought a new cheapo bator I down to 19 out of 30 in there now all appear to be developing. I tossed a couple clears and a few blood rings yesterday. There are a few different breeds in there I'm such an addict I have another bator and 30 more eggs on the way... But then I'm done .... Until spring unless I go to trader joes lol it's been a few years since I have hatched or had birds I'm so excited! Didn't realize how much I missed it!

Welcome to the thread! I hope your hatch goes well! I thought mine was gonna stay pipping at this hole forever but it is now making its way around!

I have 19 out of 37 still in the bator day 10 all are looking great but that's my biggest fear only having one pop out this is my start to my new flock since I moved.... So of course I have another 30+ eggs on the way and another incubator just to cover all my bases lol. My fiancé is going to take away my chicken privileges soon he's building my coop and DOES NOT appreciate chicken math!

Well, here's a picture of them that was taken a couple weeks ago or so, but they are redder now in the combs and wattles. Flash, my cockerel is doing his thing with one of the older black hens. My Blue and Splash pullets are on the left side. The blue babies I just hatched out will look like the blue pullet when they get to her age.
900x900px-LL-0957ccb9_RattlesnakeRidgeLine3.png
Did u actually catch a pic of your roo "in the act" I can't stop laughing thanks! I have about 10 smarty pants comments I will keep to myself I don't want to offend anyone lol. Your birds are beautiful!!!

S
My baby died... i left it until just a little bit ago. And it hadnt made any progress pipping or even moving in the egg
I candled very well. And did the float test just to make sure. No movement at all. So i carefully opend the shell at the air sac, only to see a malpositioned baby. Feet up. Yolk and blood vesseles were completely absorbed. But dead. Guess it just couldnt get out :/ wish id known.. oh well i guess. Nothing i could have done to know. 2 more babies due in 3 days. I hope these guys will be okay.
so sorry, i know how heartbreaking it is. I just had 2 quitters and it hurts my heart so much. Saying prayers for your other two.

Back
Top Bottom