The Incubators Thread!!! Come Join And Learn!!!

15. Out of them i think only 9 were fertile that i can see so far but im not chucking out any yet. Although i did chuck one out with a blood ring. I think he is not covering one of my hens

Well, good luck on your remaining eggs, and I hope that they will all hatch out for you.

I'm still waiting on Kurt to send me my order for some of the Black Australorp hatching eggs. He will be sending them to me sometime this month. I plan on being able to run all three of the colors of these.

I'm researching incubating, having tried once, which went really badly (one chick hatched with spraddle leg, which we fixed, but it died after a week. The other eight eggs didn't hatch, and when we candled afterwards, we thought at least four of those were viable). I found this thread, so thought I would post here as well as reading up elsewhere.
I think our main problem last time was heat variation, caused by the temperature outside the incubator - it was in our kitchen, which is sometimes hot, and rather cold at night. So we know to put it in a room with a more stable temperature this time round.
My other worry though (the main one at the moment!) is humidity. The instructions with my incubator were rather vague - they said to put in up to 100ml water, every other day. There were percentages for humidity in the instructions, but the incubator doesn't measure humidity. I've bought a little hygrometer now, hoping it might help next time.
A friend, with a lot more experience, told me not to add water until day 18 and then fill the reservoir right up with tepid water - does anybody else incubate like that?
Also, I'd really rather not candle the eggs - I'd rather keep them safe in the incubator! Is there any reason I really should candle them please?
Thanks.

I'm researching incubating, having tried once, which went really badly  (one chick hatched with spraddle leg, which we fixed, but it died after a week.  The other eight eggs didn't hatch, and when we candled afterwards, we thought at least four of those were viable). I found this thread, so thought I would post here as well as reading up elsewhere.  
I think our main problem last time was heat variation, caused by the temperature outside the incubator - it was in our kitchen, which is sometimes hot, and rather cold at night.  So we know to put it in a room with a more stable temperature this time round.
My other worry though (the main one at the moment!) is humidity.  The instructions with my incubator were rather vague - they said to put in up to 100ml water, every other day.  There were percentages for humidity in the instructions, but the incubator doesn't measure humidity.  I've bought a little hygrometer now, hoping it might help next time.
A friend, with a lot more experience, told me not to add water until day 18 and then fill the reservoir right up with tepid water - does anybody else incubate like that?
Also, I'd really rather not candle the eggs - I'd rather keep them safe in the incubator!  Is there any reason I really should candle them please? 
Thanks.

A hygrometer will definitely help... but dont listen to incubators instructions on that either. My instructions said 55% but that is way too high. Im trying dry incubation where i only add a squirt a day. Then at lockdown (day 18) i fill up the whole bottom and some wet sponges to raise humidity to 70-80%

I really enjoy candling but i know others dont so its up to you. It tells me which eggs are fertile and which aren't.

Hope this helps

I dry incubate. Jump humidity to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch. I do this with chicken, turkey, pheasant and quail.

Candling show you quitters and non developing eggs as well as cracks in the shell. The first time you get a stinker you will understand the want to candle.

Alway have another thermometer that's known to be accurate and never trust reading on incubator if digital.

Well, I heard from Kurt today, and he said that he will be shipping me the fertile eggs from his Black Australorp pen next week, so I'll soon have some of the Black ones to go with my Blue and Splash Australorps! Now, to get the incubator ready again... lol

I got two new chickens!!!
They aren't perfect but will do!

Im a bit disappointed with the incubator hatch. Lots of blood wrings so only 4 viable left moving around.

Back
Top Bottom