The Legbar Thread!

Konan and Kisame just joined the Legbar coop. I am delighted with Konan. Her dark grey coloring with nice cream hackles will add some nice diversity to my flock. Kisame is not as pretty as Jasper my current rooster, he has a lot of chestnut. But he comes out of Hugger so I know there are some good cream genes in there. He is also much more robust than the rooster that hatched at the same time from my flock. I am expecting some greenfire chicks this week, that a friend ordered, so maybe I'll get some great stock from that as well. I sent a brother of Kisame and a pullet from my own eggs to a new home yesterday. A non related pair, was snapped up about 5 minutes after I posted on Facebook that they were available.

I moved the CL trio into the big coop last night and today, in among the eggs was a tiny blue egg. A little bigger than a robin egg. The CL pullets are only 12 weeks old...hatched 5/19/13. I've never had a chicken lay an egg at 12 weeks.

love.gif

I was just telling my friend at work that I need to make the nesting boxes since my Legbars are about 20 weeks old. When I got home from work and checked on them, I found a perfect little blue-green egg in the back corner of the run behind the waterer!!!

My first egg ever
wee.gif
! It is pretty close in color to OAC 178.

Since no one around here is into chickens, I just had to tell someone. Will make 2 nest boxes in the morning and try to figure out who was my first layer.
Congrats FridayYet! Aren't they beautiful!

Not sure if it was this thread or the other one where I posted pics of my new baby boys from GFF. Here they are at six weeks old. Both developing crests and one really may be true cream.

Gold head boy.

Cream head boy.

Two boys with SFH clutch mates. Gold head boy on top, cream head boy below.
Beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Aloha kakou,

I have 3 cream legbars, 1 Black Copper Marans and 1 hapa. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. They don't have a mommy. I have an adult bared rock but she is not friendly to them so they're on their own. But I must say, they really like to free range. They love young grass and all kinds of weird stuff they can pick off the dirt. They love it so much that I can't lure them in with the feed! For that very reason, and also the predator worries, I've had them cooped up. Now they like my food, but if they get out, they fill up! They don't want my food. They broke out this morning. Cute little insubordinate run away little varmints! haha.

kden, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom