The McGraw Thread

Do they do well in hot climates? How much do they weigh? They caught my interest for sure.
They were created in Alabama so I am sure they can easily tolerate hot climates. I have not weighed any in a quite a while, I'll try to weigh some soon and post the results on here.

Are there any of the rumpless ones still around and being bred?

Those pictures that were posted last are spitzhaubens, arethese being used to create more of the rumpless ones?

Nice looking birds.

The breed created by Dr. Albert McGraw, which he called Silver Spangled Araucanas (now known as McGraws), are never rumpless. The rumpless birds posted early in this thread would be better called Manx Rumpies. I believe they were bred by Dwight Scott of Ohio who was a friend of Albert's. It is my understanding that back in the day, Albert crossed Hamburgs into his Manx Rumpie population and did indeed have rumpless, spangled birds. Dwight Scott, having both McGraws and Manx rumpies descended from Albert's flocks could have favored the spangled birds in his Manx Rumpie breeding or bred McGraws into the flock, ether way, leading to the spangled, rumpless birds pictured by stoneunhenged.

As for the latest McGraw pictures I posted being Spitzhaubens, I would have to disagree. They are pictures of my McGraw flock and are being used to produce more McGraws.
smile.png

Ryan Zierke

The breed created by Dr. Albert McGraw, which he called Silver Spangled Araucanas (now known as McGraws), are never rumpless. The rumpless birds posted early in this thread would be better called Manx Rumpies. I believe they were bred by Dwight Scott of Ohio who was a friend of Albert's. It is my understanding that back in the day, Albert crossed Hamburgs into his Manx Rumpie population and did indeed have rumpless, spangled birds. Dwight Scott, having both McGraws and Manx rumpies descended from Albert's flocks could have favored the spangled birds in his Manx Rumpie breeding or bred McGraws into the flock, ether way, leading to the spangled, rumpless birds pictured by stoneunhenged.

As for the latest McGraw pictures I posted being Spitzhaubens, I would have to disagree. They are pictures of my McGraw flock and are being used to produce more McGraws.
smile.png

Ryan Zierke
Sorry did not mean to insult your chickens (McGraws), I was just stating that they looked like Spitzhaubens ( but after another look they don't).

They do however look interesting.

I guess I miss read the first of the thread because I thought the rumpless ones were the ones being called McGraws. Thanks for enlightening me on it.

I do like your chickens tough. Very pretty birds.

I'm getting closer chicken-ownership. Can anyone tell me if these birds tend to be flighty or tame, and what seasons they lay well/poorly during (ie. how do they lay during summer months? Winter months?). Thanks!

Last edited:
When they are young, they are somewhat flighty, but as they mature they calm down. I think it mostly depends on how much time you spend with them. I don't think I have a large enough number of birds for enough time to give an accurate account of egg production, but the hens do lay well in the spring, summer, and fall. They completely stop laying in the winter but they are in an non-insulated, non-heated, barn without artificial lighting.

Back
Top Bottom