The Meanest, Nastiest, Fowlest (pun-intended) Chickens of All

My vote is a barred rock named Onery... Wow... His attacks are legendary... He would rip through the back of my jeans... I had to carry a broom in the coup... He was a good protector of the flock and my daughter (who has cat-like ninja skills) could catch him and she would walk him around the block with a dog harness... No one messed with her I assure you... No one ever snuck into my yard without askin!!! We used to take him to the pet animal contest at the farm store here.... He always won first place and had even been in the paper... but he was one mean son of a buck in his coup!!!

I don't like RIR's because the vast majority of the ones I have been around were terribly dominant and abusive to other birds and many time the roosters were aggresive to their human caretakers as well. Just don't like them as a breed.

the question was about the meanest breed, not a mean individual bird. it didnt specify between mean to humans or mean to other birds. the meanest breed of chicken is the asil. they fight to kill. a hen can and will kill a young rooster.

So . . . which variety of chicken most needs anger management, an attitude adjustment, heavy doses of anti-depressants and electro-convulsive shock therapy?

lau.gif

For those who had issues with the hatchery wyandottes, I wonder if it's hatchery wyandottes specifically because the white wyandottes I had were wonderful! The roos were gentle and easy to handle, and the hens were large and fluffy wonderhens.

love.gif
wyandottes. The whites I had came from Urch.

i dont believe that rhode island red roosters are any meaner than other barnyard breeds. rhode island red hens are some of the friendliest chickens that i have had over the years. i repeat, the asil or aseel is the meanest chicken breed.

Quote:
I've seen several people write and a couple of old gamers tell me that the black asil hens were the meanest they ever had!! LOL I've never had them so personally I don't know. I think the games and game mix hens are the meanest broodies or mothers . The game roosters of course are mean to other roosters but I've never had one that would just attack me for no reason. Every Leghorn rooster I ever had when i was young had to be put down because they were so mean nobody was safe to walk in the yard . I've also had some mean Rir's and then some that weren't mean. The last one I had that was mean weighed at the most 2 lbs. and he was a litle seabright/Mille fleur cross. I finally had to send him to chicken heaven as I could never break him from attacking everybody and I didn't want him to get my kids when they feed for me , as he was starting to develop spurs. Some breeds I guess are more prone to being mean but I have one old game hen that will walk up my arm and let me pick up her chicks and then I have one that will start at your head and go all the way to your feet flogging you if you even come close. LOL

I've heard that the meanest, nastiest, fowlest Chickens of all are...............................those that are broody.
gig.gif

Not that I know this from personal experience, of course.

Quote:
In my humble experience when I have had one go broody, they just fluff up and growl at me as I lift them up to get the eggs out from under them, they then either sit back down ro run off squawking in a snit.

Back
Top Bottom