The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Find a good book and relax?
big_smile.png
. I think I have read that some chicks take longer to hatch. I wouldn't give up on her yet.

What I'm asking is:
IF she abandons the nest, and there are still viable eggs, does anyone have any ideas on how to finish brooding them WITHOUT AN INCUBATOR?

Most folks just nab the viable eggs and put them in their incubator. I don't have one. So... ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO BRING THEM TO HATCH WITHOUT AN INCUBATOR if needed?

Last edited:
Lost our best Orp broody to a dog attack last night. My FIL's dog got into the coop before we locked it up. She defended her chicks well, both are alive and fine. Had to put her down though, she was suffering and not getting O2. It was a lapse in judgement on my wife's part, she did not realize the coop was not locked before letting him play in back with our dogs(they ignore the chickens). The chicks are 5 weeks old so should be ok still in the flock(hoping). The dog will never come back once my FIL returns from his trip.

On a good note, had a 100% hatch on the three eggs that made to lockdown. 2 Buff Silkie and an EE/mix. All hatched yesterday. Gonna be setting Blue Silkie eggs this weekend since she appears to be fertile now. Yay

So sorry :( Amazing she was able to protect her chicks.

Find a good book and relax? :D . I think I have read that some chicks take longer to hatch. I wouldn't give up on her yet.

What I'm asking is:
IF she abandons the nest, and there are still viable eggs, does anyone have any ideas on how to finish brooding them WITHOUT AN INCUBATOR?

Most folks just nab the viable eggs and put them in their incubator.  I don't have one.  So...  ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO BRING THEM TO HATCH WITHOUT AN INCUBATOR if needed?
I was able to take eggs that were abandoned at 14 days(she started molting in the middle of the brood) and set up my brooder and heat lamp and got temp pretty steady 100-105. Had one of the three develop to lockdown when I got a borrowed bator, it drowned in lockdown. But you can dry incubate with the heat lamp.

What I'm asking is:

Most folks just nab the viable eggs and put them in their incubator. I don't have one. So... ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO BRING THEM TO HATCH WITHOUT AN INCUBATOR if needed?
Can you borrow an incubator from your local cooperatve extension office ??

Trav..sorry about your loss..
hugs.gif

Quote: Do you have a socket with a light bulb you can plug in? or a heat lamp?
If you do you are fine. All went under her at the same time so they should hatch in the next few days.
IF she abandons the nest..
Do a float test on all eggs with out an exterior pip (candle to be positive no exterior pip or they will drowned)

Set up a cardboard box with some bedding chips/..place a thermometer on top of the chips.. cut a round hole in the side of the cardboard box and insert the outlet..screw in a 40 watt light bulb. Check every 5 minute to the heat inside the box. Adjust by opening and closing the lid. Try to maintain 96 degrees with some accuracy. Over or under by 3 degrees is fine. Move the thermometer around the box to find the best place to put eggs. I would also put a small container of water inside. Cover with an inverted plate or a rock inside the bowl.

th

Quote:
Good idea but...since it's Labor Day weekend, I probably wouldn't be able to reach anyone.

I was just outside and another has hatched. That's a good sign.
Great sign..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom