The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I'm very inpatient.

I'm thinking I'm going to open a bank account and just start depositing money in it and not touching it. That way even if I stay here a while longer I can start saving and faster cause there's usually interest?
Work on that impatience thing, it isn't easy!!!! And yes, one thing at a time. I don't think we intended you to go cold turkey. Prioritize and for every purchase think "Do I NEED this?" "How often will I use it?" "Where will I put it?" Instead of trying to convince yourself you DO need something, try to convince yourself you DON'T. I dare say most of us have been where you are at some point, we've just had more practice saying "No" to ourselves. And that doesn't mean we don't make impulse purchases now and then.

There is interest on the accounts but at the current rates, don't go to the penny candy store and expect to fill a bag ;) If you aren't going to touch it much, go for the money market/power account. And depending on how things go, get your 6 months of expected living expenses in that account before you move out AND have a job (2 if part time) that will pay those expenses so you don't need to touch the "emergency fund" unless there IS an emergency. And yes it is a TON of money.

Make use of the Amazon "wish list". Put stuff on there you think you will need in the future but don't buy it until you do. Do you remember ordering egg cartons before you even had your first chicks??

Work on that impatience thing, it isn't easy!!!! And yes, one thing at a time. I don't think we intended you to go cold turkey. Prioritize and for every purchase think "Do I NEED this?" "How often will I use it?" "Where will I put it?" Instead of trying to convince yourself you DO need something, try to convince yourself you DON'T. I dare say most of us have been where you are at some point, we've just had more practice saying "No" to ourselves. And that doesn't mean we don't make impulse purchases now and then.

There is interest on the accounts but at the current rates, don't go to the penny candy store and expect to fill a bag ;) If you aren't going to touch it much, go for the money market/power account. And depending on how things go, get your 6 months of expected living expenses in that account before you move out AND have a job (2 if part time) that will pay those expenses so you don't need to touch the "emergency fund" unless there IS an emergency. And yes it is a TON of money.

Make use of the Amazon "wish list". Put stuff on there you think you will need in the future but don't buy it until you do. Do you remember ordering egg cartons before you even had your first chicks??

Thanks again for all the advice! Really useful and even more wise advice here :D

Good point about asking myself those questions because most of the stuff I buy ends up just sitting in the house and the hiuse is overflowing with stuff. Not just mine but my parents have a bunch of stuff too. We definitely don't need so much stuff. And I have so much pet and chicken stuff that I "needed" that has gone untouched... not just pet stuff. Books too.

Thanks, good idea. So you just don't touch that money? Seems odd to me but also a really smart idea. Oh and also this is kind of random but should I have a pet emergency fund too? I've seen people suggest you should so you can afford to save your animal if necessary or care for them or whatever else but if I'm trying to save to move out I wasn't sure if I should prioritize it. Probably not? And also, if I DID start a fund, I wasn't sure if that would be included in the emergency fund you are talking about or if it should be completely separate?

I actually do have wish lists. I have a ton atm actually, idk why I have so many, and I have tons of bookmarks. And tons of pics from concerts. Always think I'm gonna need all this stuff and never ens up looking at it. Always forget I saved or had stuff. I need to go through my wishlists and see what I put in there. Not to buy everything but just curious. It's weird, I'm so impulsive that if I don't buy it right then I just forget about it apparently.

And wait did I really do that? Whoops lol

I actually am missing one of the packs cause my mom had moved it but I've beesaving cartons or buying from TSC. I actually just ordered a bunch of cartons and stickers in April. It's a pack of 5 colors when I was planning on selling them or adding more. Haven't done that yet but egg cartons are always good to have and I'm going to eventually.

Ah, the magic word: eventually ;)

I wouldn't make a separate savings account for pet emergencies, just include those potential costs in your 6 month savings. And yes, the purpose of that account is for money you DON'T need for day to day, month to month living. You raid that thing and then where are you when you need it? What happens to people who don't have/can't save up that account and they have an emergency? They end up paying with credit cards they can't pay off at 25% annual percentage rate interest. That is a hole you just can't get out of. We don't want that to happen to you :D

And yeah, go through those wish lists. I think it will just reinforce the concept of "thought I needed/wanted that, turns out 'not so much'". Delete all the stuff you ask "why the heck did I put that on there?" and leave the things you think you might need "eventually".

Yeah, that word's gotten me into a lot of trouble lol

Thanks, more wise advice. You're exactly right. Okay, so I'll make one I can't touch. :D

And yeah, I think I'm gonna go through those wishlists. Good idea.

And I think part of my problem, besides just having the impulsive spending/no self control thing (which my mother and her whole family also have), is the lack of motivation which might be the depression or laziness or whatever? Because a lot of the stuff I might actually use but then I lose interest or forget or just say "later" "later" "later" and it never happens. Like I never actually get moving. And then time just slips away from me.

Like for example, I graduated a month ago already and I've done like nothing and I'm like how has it been a month? Or how is it halfway through June already? I meant to plant like the weekend I graduated or at least first weekend of June.

My problem is I leave too many things I might use eventually. Like "in case I loose so many pounds," I could wear this again - of course rather than lose , I gain more. I have way too many smaller things I am sure I will never fit into unless starving to death.

If I dump 'out of size clothes,' I worry I won't have the $$$ to replace them IF I ever do loose weight. I know a lot of folks do the same. If money has always been tight it's a tough situation. If things go out of style, sooner or later they come back in. I don't really care about being stylish but, some things you really love and hate to give up. HELP.

I know the one year rule. If you don't wear something in a year toss it. But........

I am the same way with stuff I never use. You throw it out then you need it.

I say with clothes if you have the room for them then keep them unless the closet is overflowing?

I might be one but working on it ha so far i just impulsively buy stuff

Hmm, I suppose that's true. Hadn't really thought of that. I don't think my parent's would let me go homeless though but maybe that's the issue. Maybe they should or at least should stop paying stuff so I learn
Sadly, your parents won't be around forever.

Back
Top Bottom