the +*OFFICIAL*+ German Shepherd thread :D

Shiloh's are not German Shepherds! They are a cross between an Alaskan Malamute and a German Shepherd and are not purbred. You can not get AKC papers or register them with the AKC. So in a sense, you will be forking out dough for another mutt. Also please note that Shilohs on the OFA site have 17.2 incidences of hip displasia where as GSD's have 19 (not much difference). Shilohs' statistics are drawn from only 750 dogs where as GSD's have over 105,000 dogs tested for their statistics so their #s are much more accurate %. With an entry of only 750 dogs to draw a conclusion on for the entire breed is just a handful of dogs. If just a few litters were added to the % it would dramatically change the numbers. Also the bigger the dog the shorter the life-span, more bone/joint, and health problems. Shilohs are noted to be 130+ lbs. and considered a giant dog. http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2011/may/short_lifespans_in_giant_breeds
Stick with your gut and get a Mal or Dutch or a GSD. Just make sure the hips and elbows of the parent dogs are passing, and their parents, and so forth.
Also Degenerative Mylopothy (DM) clear.
I know they aren't German Sheps!!!!

I'm not interested in breeding so don't care about papers on any of my animals, dogs or horses.

Just adopted a white thirteen to fifteen year old GSD farm dog, that was taken to vet yearly but otherwise not done nothing with in five years, but new name and sit. she is surprisingly healthy calm and fast learning. she is huge, especially for a female, and even though doesn't seem aggressive, aside from going for cat once before corrected quick, and growling at another time when was feeding her ham trimmings, before being immediately corrected again. no one even owner comes up on property anymore! she is so sweet though don't think she would do more than visual deterent, as she hasn't barked yet even when a bear came up, she just stood behind cattle electric fence, while rough collie went right through to put fear and pain into the bear (after seconds it was frantic panicking to try to get away after my collie got hold of). after he came back limping slightly, she sniffed him over and licked him, seeming then to get she now has a job to do and a lot more alert at least.

don't have a GSD yet, but It's the first dog breed I would consider getting after moving out... Either a GSD, Pitbull , or Springer Spaniel. ;) All your dogs are BEAUTIFUL May I add.

Last edited:
My boys are getting old. Mace is 6 now and Blackjack is 4. My how they have grown!

I have to take a minute to show off some pictures of my new baby, Hemi.

and big brother Singe, so he doesn't feel left out

Last edited:
Subscribing! I have a Black and Tan sable male, Rocky, and a Black and Tan, with a touch of white on her chest, female named Dolce. Dolce may have some husky in her. She's very vocal. I'll try to post pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom