the +*OFFICIAL*+ German Shepherd thread :D

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I think it's more different breeding than different kinds. Jax is a sable, from pure german bloodlines - dam, west german and sire, east. He takes after his dam. Kane is from the same blood lines, but takes after his great grandsire, who was a long coated bi-color like he is.
The american shepherds that folks are more used to seeing are typically the black and tan with the "saddleback" and sloping hindquarters. The german bred shepherds also tend to be larger.
Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer the german bloodlines.

I like them both..i think they're both pretty.
smile.png

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I think it's more different breeding than different kinds. Jax is a sable, from pure german bloodlines - dam, west german and sire, east. He takes after his dam. Kane is from the same blood lines, but takes after his great grandsire, who was a long coated bi-color like he is.
The american shepherds that folks are more used to seeing are typically the black and tan with the "saddleback" and sloping hindquarters. The german bred shepherds also tend to be larger.
Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer the german bloodlines.

I like them both..i think they're both pretty.
smile.png

I had an american bred, short haired saddleback female GSD growing up and adored her. Kane and Jax are almost like a different breed of dog, more.....driven, I guess is the word I need. They still have everything in them I love about the breed - smart, protective, real velcro dogs. Jax is more velcro-ish than Kane at this point, but Kane is just really starting to show his personality. Still trying to get him to listen better to DH. His world revolves around me and he's not fond of others telling him what to do.

Mine are saddlebacks, but from german lines. The sloping hips is usually american line. The ones I've seen have a different shaped nose too. The european ones are block, if that makes sense.

Bluemoon

Quote:
You have your mole coat, which doesn't have an undercoat and is very short. A fault.
Stock coat, most desired and the standard.
Long coat, another fault. Long coats also can be with or without an undercoat.

Now add in DDR, East German, West German, Canadian and American. Even Australian GSD's are a little different.
smile.png
All in a good way ofcourse.

I love my long coats though.
love.gif

My boys just turned 2 Feb 28. Happy Birthday boys!

March2011.jpg

March2016.jpg

And one of Hexe trying to catch a little break.

March2009.jpg

She was being accosted a moment before. lol

March2007.jpg

Last edited:
Happy birthday crazyland.
smile.png
My dogs LOVE those squeaker balls.
lol.png
We have a graveyard of those in the yard that dont squeak anymore.
gig.gif

I ove the coloring on the first one.
love.gif

Bluemoon

Quote:
That's one of the best pics I have ever seen!

That is so weet of you to say. Thank you for the kind words.
I miss my mommy GSD. She made it to 13 & 1/2.
Her kids are crazy.
Yert & Fuzzy

307218224.jpg

Quote:
Blue, slightly OT - but is there anything special you use to groom Sophie's coat? You're right in that the short coat looks well groomed all the time (Jax), but I've become obsessive about Kane's coat and trying to keep it looking nice. I'm considering ordering some puppy grooming spray I found at Jeffers pet.
Oh and I'm only obsessing about his coat, because I can stop obsessing about his ears. They're up! They're up! He's left ear finally came up and stayed up all night last night!
wee.gif

Of course it went back down again when he got tired, but at least I know it's capable of going up.
woot.gif

ETA: Speaking of squeaker balls, the extra large Kong tennis balls last 5 minutes with Jax before he squeezes them so hard he pops the squeaker out.

Last edited:
She hates bathing.
hmm.png
Sampson wasn't crazy about it either. She's also gotten too big for the bathtub. I have waterless shampoo ( it's liquid spray, not powder.) I use on her during the winter, and soon..... mud season.
sickbyc.gif
If they are REALLY bad, I'll wash them outside. The weather is too cold to wash em outside yet. Brushing helps, but you've probably noticed you can make another dog with their shedding hair.
gig.gif

Awww, give Kane a big hug for me.
hugs.gif
I love when their ears finally come up!

Sampson would pop any type of squeaker ball about 5 minutes after we got it. I swear he did it to annoy the other dog.
lau.gif
Sophie hasn't YET, but I'm sure it won't be long before she does. Those balls stay outside. She drops em at the door when she comes in. She's learning.....

Bluemoon

Back
Top Bottom