the +*OFFICIAL*+ German Shepherd thread :D

Zelda's dad doesn't look to be German showlines so I wouldn't think she would get much red if any. But that depends on the mom too.

LMAO you torture your dogs too?

005-17.jpg

Quote:
adorable!!! and Zelda's mom...wasnt the prettiest dog........
but her dad was RED
really red
that pic has bad coloring
her mom was a really pale brown and black GSD so...??

Quote:
I hate German Shepards - stupid breed. I also can't stand sheperds and shephards.

SHEPHERD - to HERD sheep. The breed's ORIGINAL purpose, though even Max Von Stephanitz - creator of the breed intended them to be a "jack of all trades." And yes even modern shepherds can have herding drive, do herd sheep in trial and in real life. Herding drive is why some of them don't do well in pet homes. Because most people can't handle a dog that is of working level drives.

I do love German Shepherd Dogs. I've had a total of 16. I prefer Czech/DDR dogs though at this point. Laura prefers W. German working with some East German thrown in for balance. To each his own. I've worked dozens German working and show, American German Bred, AKC American Bred, and obviously Czech/DDR, for pets, military, SchH, service and therapy. Love 'em all to death as long as they are shepherds that behave like shepherds. Solid, bomb proof, temperamentally sound and it's all good. I prefer herding, tracking and ball drive in some combination.

Oh and my favorite color is black sable.

13263_all_on_camera_032.jpg

The black sable is Dash, my boy black sable , the grump is our black and tan Tango. I like dog faced grump, so I was happy with how she turned out.

With pups they don't tend to darken as they go to adult coat. Sables the exception.

The lighter the color base as a pup, the lighter - possibly even more so - they become as adults. The mahogeny reds usually start out mahogeny red/almost black and stay that way. Bi colors should be born almost entirely black, have maybe a bit of brown or red between the pads and under the tail - though not always. Then they lighten significantly. A pup born with tan feet will not be bi-color (a tan footed pup will not develop pencil markings on the toes later) though could have significant "blanket", up the neck, most of the head, well down the legs. I like bi's and thoroughly blanketed dogs.

Tan sables and brown sables, some black sables can be born fawn and as the dog ages, the black over coat comes in, they're the exception. Usually they black in on the mask and a diamond of black on the tail and then it all comes roaring in as they switch to adult guard coat.

Give that I believe a breed should stay as it was intended by the creator of the breed. I don't care for whites, or the other DQ colors. Though I know a self liver and a self blue that are quite dark and quite handsome. Max didn't intend the breed to be light colored, or color diluted so for me that's a no-go. And that people breeding the DQ colors have killed temperament and type doesn't help my attitude, and probably proves Max right.

Back
Top Bottom