The Old Folks Home

I'd have to say I've been very lucky with all the tornadoes that have touched down so close to me over the years....several less than 10 miles away...one less than 5....that briefly touched down...destroyed several homes...lifted..went over my house and touched back down about 10 miles away..destroying a couple of dozen homes...

I've only seen one tornado form and touch down...out in the middle of nowhere....and it didn't damage anything...

HOWEVER: ...This is really freaky: I was watching a mean cloud bank approach from the west some years back...when it got overhead...it was eerily calm and when I looked up....straight overhead...I saw the clouds begin to rotate.....

I went and got the cordless and called my brother....I told him to look north because I thought a tornado was forming right on top of me...and being right under it...I wouldn't be able to see a tail...

He said his wife said she saw a tail....but he said:" I think she just sees rain...." ....the wind started picking up....and it started to rain....so I went inside..

Less than 5 mins. later...my brother calls back and says a massive tornado just hit downtown (east of me)....I said:" Uh huh....dipstick...that one that formed on top of me that was just rain....."

What's even more unbelievable....is...it happened again!!!! This one went southeast and tore up a bunch of houses about 10miles away.....

Two tornadoes spawned directly overhead....I witnessed both.....

That is freaky. We've been very lucky too. It's just hit and miss. In your climate and ours, wild stuff can spawn at any time.
It's also strange how a tornado can hop about, pick and choose what houses to hit. Around here we see complete devastation with a house untouched in the middle of it.
For that homeowner it must feel like the survivor of a plane crash.

It looks like the impressive hail system is moving off to the southeast. There was one report I just heard about that was 3 inches of rain in 25 minutes. We have branches down but no more trees that I can see.

The ballgame is supposed to resume at 9:55. They had to pull trucks onto the field to hold the tarp down. It's 'Game of the Week' on ESPN.
If ya'll have ESPN you can watch the game with me. Best team in baseball.

Our record high and low temperatures for this date were 108 and 54.
We were mild and humid today a high of 84 and low of 66.

We've shattered our rainfall record for June. My son and I were supposed to go canoeing the next 3 days but now I have to check river levels and the weather forecast.
Over the years, we've floated on several rivers in flood stage. It's only scary when camping at night.

Last edited:
Quote: In those kind of situations it's way better to be a witness than a participant. I've been up close and personal to a couple of tornadoes in PA. I can live without being that close again.

Chicken Canoe, hope you are safe and sound where you are.
hugs.gif
Baseball would be the last thing I'd be thinking about.

No ma'am he had to work this weekend. I am waiting for the me to release the body and personal affects. I need that for closure. That may be tomorrow. Hopefully.

He needed to be there with you ...
somad.gif

You need to come to Maine

Was this for me? If you meant me, I'll do my best to get there!
You need BF there with you and if he is not willing to be there, I will!
How long will you be in Virginia?

Wisher sometimes it is impossible for a significant other to be there. DH missed both my sister's funeral and my dad's. As much as I wanted him there and he wanted to be there, it was just impossible at the time. It is a forgivable offence :hugs

Back
Top Bottom