The Old Folks Home

With the exception of being able to use it in a power outage, my pellet stove is more loved than my wood stove. No chopping wood, no hauling wood, cleaner, works to a set temperature, little maintenance... highly recommended.

The wood stove smells good and I can use it in a power outage (which is why I have 2 cords of wood to bring in) and cook on the top...

Thanks Chickadoodle!

Building it was very meditative and I learned a lot about myself in doing so. For intance, I tend to overthink things out before execution, like it took weeks before I actually cut a board because I had to think about the progression of the coop in my head to completion. I could hardly be called spontaneous. More like methodical. It wasn't quite visualization, but I knew where I wanted to go with it. Then it was a lot of math. And I discovered -- besides having a healthy fear of ladders -- that when I get tired I just don't care. It took a long time to build because I was also coordinating landscaping and home decorating PLUS my part-time job that would whisk me away at inopportune times AND the distraction of having a passel of chicks in the house.

I think I can safely predict that is the last coop I'll build, so it's a good thing I love it!
You can definitely tell that you put a lot of time and effort into planning it and building it. It is beautiful! Anyone can tell how much labor you put into building it. It looks like it will outlive us all.
wink.png

I did my share of building and remodeling in my younger years.

Just got home a bit ago from T-town and having the stress test done. They said it will be any where from a few days to a week before the Dr. can go over the tests. So crossing my fingers.
fl.gif

Quote: I'm glad you liked the idea I had fun with it to. I got tons of fishing stuff for the boys to go thru and they loved it. All the kids here in our family love fishing. I started my kids out at 2 yrs. old fishing with cane poles and they were hooked. My daughters take their friends fishing and teach them and they love it.

I will have to look for some cartoon shrink wrap wash cloths. I bet the kids would get a kick out of that. lol

I have a fireplace. I have turned it on twice now. No chords needed.
big_smile.png

Wish I had a wood burning one. :( We have the built in place for a chimney. Now, just need the money to build a fireplace.
Cynthia here there are buildings that crumble from storms or age and they leave the bricks laying on the ground. Most people find things like that to re-pourpose. Maybe you could find an old house or school that came down and left bricks laying around then you all could mix the mortar and build the chimney yourselves? DIY style.
roll.png
Just a thought.

Deb congrats on the weight loss and getting chores done! Thumbs up!

Getaclue thanks for sharing the story. Nice.

Scg to many chores in one day for me! Take it easy so your not out of commission.
big_smile.png

I wish we had either a wood stove or a fireplace. This old house is so drafty! (Shivering)

Chicka I hope your stress test goes well this week. :hugs Very cute bags! Cynthia no snow this weekend on the mountains near me. We had some rain off and on but no snow on the peaks. I did get a chance to go up into a small canyon near my house today to get a few pictures done between rain showers. I have shot up here before. I was working on some new focusing techniques I learned in a class I took yesterday. I really like how these came out.
Wow The depth makes each shot look real. Most, honestly, all photos i take lookflat. Lol

Deb congrats on the weight loss and getting chores done! Thumbs up!

Getaclue thanks for sharing the story. Nice.

Scg to many chores in one day for me! Take it easy so your not out of commission. :D

I wish we had either a wood stove or a fireplace. This old house is so drafty! (Shivering)

Much can be done to reduce the drafts. Towel at base of door. Seal the windows with plastic.Little things adf up

Much can be done to reduce the drafts. Towel at base of door. Seal the windows with plastic.Little things adf up

X 2 - you can contact your local electric company or your local community action agency (depending on your income) for an "energy audit" and some possible work to make the home more energy efficient (specifically the CAA on the work part). Or, as my co-worker and I used to advocate during energy education sessions, "get a fuzzy cat" (to stick across the base of drafty doors)

Back
Top Bottom