The Old Folks Home

Clowns. Ugh. I might watch a clown shot by a cannon, though. ;)

Loving all the animal stories. Always root for the underdog and be blessed many times over.

- - -

I used to work as a vet tech at the UCD Large Animal Clinic. At that time we were close to several racetracks (Bay Meadows and Golden Gate Fields) and Marine World Africa USA, so a variety of animals would come through. I usually did the setup for the x-raying of horses and processed the films (back in the day before digital.) One day my boss told me to go set up for the next patient. I walked in the room and there was an elephant. OMG. HUGE. It was kind of a pop quiz, I guess. Not a dinky (in comparison) little horse bone, to be sure. Luckily the pachyderm was very well behaved...and didn't make a mess, which I would've had to clean up.

Years later when I had the ranch in the Sierra foothill one of our neighbors had an elephant, a rescue. It never escaped, but you could hear it trumpeting for its breakfast in the morning. That creature ate A LOT of hay as the feed trucks were always rumbling down the road. Now at a different ranch and many states away (and a decade or two), I've got a neighbor that has zebras and camels. LOVE watching the camels walk. The zebras have a nasty temperament, like the worst nippy/kicky pony you could imagine on steroids.

Anyone that has raised ducks, any advice is welcome, if you see something I might be doing wrong.
Just like chicks.... just messier.

I do though often supplement the feed of the ducklings with niacin, since they need more than what is in chick feed. The flockraiser should have enough ... but who knows.

I just get a bag of animal grade nutritional yeast from the feed store, and sprinkle some on for the first couple of weeks.

It is the same as the nutritional yeast/brewers yeast that is often sold in the grocery store as a popcorn topping... just costs less. (And though often labeled as "brewer's yeast" isn't the actual yeast used by brewers)

Clowns. Ugh. I might watch a clown shot by a cannon, though. ;)

Loving all the animal stories. Always root for the underdog and be blessed many times over.

- - -

I used to work as a vet tech at the UCD Large Animal Clinic. At that time we were close to several racetracks (Bay Meadows and Golden Gate Fields) and Marine World Africa USA, so a variety of animals would come through. I usually did the setup for the x-raying of horses and processed the films (back in the day before digital.) One day my boss told me to go set up for the next patient. I walked in the room and there was an elephant. OMG. HUGE. It was kind of a pop quiz, I guess. Not a dinky (in comparison) little horse bone, to be sure. Luckily the pachyderm was very well behaved...and didn't make a mess, which I would've had to clean up.

Years later when I had the ranch in the Sierra foothill one of our neighbors had an elephant, a rescue. It never escaped, but you could hear it trumpeting for its breakfast in the morning. That creature ate A LOT of hay as the feed trucks were always rumbling down the road. Now at a different ranch and many states away (and a decade or two), I've got a neighbor that has zebras and camels. LOVE watching the camels walk. The zebras have a nasty temperament, like the worst nippy/kicky pony you could imagine on steroids.
Wow you get to live near/work with a lot of cool animals! LOL I think I’m jealous. 😂🤣

:frow everyone!

We dropped another dead tree this morning. This one over 20 inches in diameter. It had died last spring and we left it standing till we could get to it. It was completely brittle except for the main trunk. Probably should have dropped it last fall but we didn't. Very messy tree.

Other than that, pretty routine day here.

Admit it, @getaclue, you love that duckling already!:hugs

Hey y’all. I have a genetic question and I’m not sure where to ask on here. I just hatched a little fluff nugget from my two lovebirds, Piggy (silkie) and Fancy (polish). Which type of feathering is more dominant? Or will it be a combination of both? Or will this be a weird little frankenchicken?

Attachments

• 52149843-94C0-4995-9F59-CF681A856494.jpeg
    52149843-94C0-4995-9F59-CF681A856494.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 59A2476D-89A1-47B3-92AD-E3A2BA5F4FF3.jpeg
    59A2476D-89A1-47B3-92AD-E3A2BA5F4FF3.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 2
Hey y’all. I have a genetic question and I’m not sure where to ask on here. I just hatched a little fluff nugget from my two lovebirds, Piggy (silkie) and Fancy (polish). Which type of feathering is more dominant? Or will it be a combination of both? Or will this be a weird little frankenchicken?

First generation silky crosses are hard feathered.

Back
Top Bottom