The Olive-Egger thread!

Thanks Ron, its quite complex. I can't have roosters so didn't do the cross myself just going on what the ad said (pullets dark, males light) so the legbar rooster over copper black hens means the head spots could be either so I'll keep my fingers crossed as I was really looking forward to an olive egger. They are only 3 weeks and a couple have big crowns already so hoping they're not all males. They definitely came out looking slightly different its my second hatch and in the first were copper blacks and they looked different too so some with extended black, the olive eggers also had some which looked like an extended black copper maran but more grey with yellow I'm hoping that's a girl I'd love to see that one with a crest.

Thanks!... He/he just laid her first olive egg. She is almost 16 weeks old. Guess she is an fast developer.
.... told you I was a novice
hide.gif

always best to wait for that first egg or the first crow before you make any rash decisions.

Congratulations!

Agreed!  My OE is a Black Copper marans crossed with an ameraucana.  She looks exactly like a full BCM except she has a pea comb.  She has nicely feathered legs and a lot of copper on her neck.  

This is what my OE roo has. He has full beard, feathered legs and is getting the copper on his head and wings. He's lavender everywhere else.

So I think my 'OE' Henny laid this much lighter egg yesterday....

Maybe her spray booth ran out of material or had a glitch?
It IS possible that this egg is a first egg from one of the EE pullets too. but it was the only egg in that coop.

Anyone had this happen, 6 beautiful olive eggs.... then a more minty green, (looks blue in the sunlight, greener inside)?

So I think my 'OE' Henny laid this much lighter egg yesterday....

Maybe her spray booth ran out of material or had a glitch?
It IS possible that this egg is a first egg from one of the EE pullets too. but it was the only egg in that coop.

Anyone had this happen, 6 beautiful olive eggs.... then a more minty green, (looks blue in the sunlight, greener inside)?

Yes, it happens.

very nice eggs!

Thanks Ronott1.

Got another already today, kind of between the two above.
I notice that the hue seems to change a bit between when first laid and a day or two later.
Even without washing....

.....and the colors look so much different in different lights, which I have some experience with in color matching plastic automotive parts in my past.......

.........and it's almost impossible to photograph them accurately......

I might drive my self nuts analyzing the colors and changes.....
...... well not quite, but it is rather fascinating especially that it's new to me.

blahblahblah......nice to have some greenish/bluish in my basket finally tho :)...and I have 2 EE's that will hopefully start to lay soon too.

Thanks Ronott1.

Got another already today, kind of between the two above.
I notice that the hue seems to change a bit between when first laid and a day or two later.
Even without washing....

.....and the colors look so much different in different lights, which I have some experience with in color matching plastic automotive parts in my past.......

.........and it's almost impossible to photograph them accurately......

I might drive my self nuts analyzing the colors and changes.....
...... well not quite, but it is rather fascinating especially that it's new to me.

blahblahblah......nice to have some greenish/bluish in my basket finally tho :)...and I have 2 EE's that will hopefully start to lay soon too.
Someone should develop a chicken egg color chart that could be included in pictures and used to calibrate a screen according to lighting conditions to show it as naturally as possible.

I am currently incubating a few 2nd generation Olive Eggers. I have a friend who has recently started trying to cross breed to get OE. Her first gen laid a lovely dark green egg. And so these 2nd gen should be a little darker and truer. They are due to hatch in about 10 days, so I won't know for a while what color eggs they lay. Im excited about them though!

I just love having a nice color variation in my eggs. So pretty!

Back
Top Bottom