The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote:
I bought hatching eggs from Heidi early last year. I don't know if she still sells the olive mix. It's a Wheaten Penedesenca / Blue Ameraucana cross.

I tried to cross my olive girl with a BCM but all her eggs hatched out male. I'll try that again when the next BCM roo is ready for mating (1-2 months?). Hoping that combo would have more brown/goldish olive eggs.

my olive eggs from a CM/EE cross
26477_metchosinswapmay10_084.jpg

A question for those of you who know a thing or two about genetics...

If I were to cross my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo with a Wheaten Penedesenca hen to create Olive Eggers, would the resulting chicks be visually Wheaten colored? Meaning would the paring produce "true" wheaten colored chicks with EVERY mating? If so, I could start my own Wheaten Olive Egger project!
big_smile.png

Also, one of the reasons I chose Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas was because you usually can feather sex them at a much earlier age than the other varieties. This is also (mostly) true with other wheaten birds, due to the different colored adult plumage of the adult birds. Would this trait be carried through to the Olive Egger chicks as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It is the same genes that create the Wheaten variety in both breeds, so yes you should have Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Olive Eggers.

Quote:
I'm pretty new to Wheatens, my first Wheaten chicks are hatching next week, so I don't know. However, I would guess they would.

Can you explain the feather sexing further and maybe with some pictures? I have Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas on the way.

Sure! Let me dig up some pictures of my Blue Wheatens and I'll send them to you, I hatched 11 on April 1st, they're thriving now. Where'd you get your eggs?

Hey, fellow olive egger lovers! Stacey (Gumpsgirl) sent me a pic of some eggs that girls out of my stock have been laying. She said they are actually darker, that the flash lightened them up a bit. The Marans egg in the back is from my stock, and the olive egg is my stock, as well. She said the olive egger is laying very large, dark olive eggs and that she really likes them! This is the color that I'm hoping my "golden olive egger" bred to a pure Blue Ameraucana babies will lay. I thought it was just a really pretty egg pic, so wanted to share:

Staceysoliveeggeregg.jpg

ep.gif
Oh my!!! That is a goooorgeous shade of olive, Wynette!! You sure weren't kidding, that is one (amongst several) beautiful egg! I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed that I'll be updating this thread later in the week with my own little fuzzy olive eggers from your glorious stock!

Back
Top Bottom