The Olive-Egger thread!

Has anyone every used anything other than Marans to make Olive Eggers?

What about other dark egg layers like, Penedesencas, Empordanesas, or Welsummers?

Any pictures of the results?

Quote:
Not yet, but I will be using an Ameraucana/Welsummer cross. I need my 20 week old Ameraucana's to start laying first, then I need to finish my new coop. Then I'll be in business.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some Amerucana cross's that lay a very dark olive egg. I'll take a picture of the eggs.
They are crossed with Black Copper Maran or Black Maran or Cuckoo Maran. Could be any one of those roos. Some are definately Cuckoo cross's as they are barred.

I have one hen crossed with a Welsumer that lays a olive egg. Her egg is not as dark as the Maran cross and my line of Welsumers lay a dark Terracotta egg.

Quote:
Not yet, but I will be using an Ameraucana/Welsummer cross. I need my 20 week old Ameraucana's to start laying first, then I need to finish my new coop. Then I'll be in business.

Edited for typo.

I'm interested in this pairing too. I've got some Wellies growing up right now, I'll have to wait and see how their egg color is because they're hatchery chicks, but I'd like to use them to create some Olive Eggers if the shell color looks nice. They'd be paired with my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel and his ladies.

Any idea what the patridge color X the blue wheaten color could create?
smile.png

Me, too, but my Wellies and my Ameraucanas are still in the incubator. Then they have to grow up and start laying and breed and then I'll incubate their eggs... alas , this is going to be awhile...
th.gif

I don't have pics but my wellie roo x EE crosses look like little brown roadrunners. They're at two months right now. All were born with yellow legs. The only 2 teenagers with any blue feathering have single combs and one is a boy. I'll have to wait until their adult feathering comes in to see if they're going to "shine". Also, their muffs haven't really carried over either from the chick stage when they were really puffy.

Quote:
Those eggs are gorgeous!
droolin.gif

Do you sell eggs from that pairing? You're in LA right? That's not too far from where I am.

Quote:

Edited for typo.

I'm interested in this pairing too. I've got some Wellies growing up right now, I'll have to wait and see how their egg color is because they're hatchery chicks, but I'd like to use them to create some Olive Eggers if the shell color looks nice. They'd be paired with my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel and his ladies.

Any idea what the patridge color X the blue wheaten color could create?
smile.png

I've looked into the color combination because my Olive Egger cockeral is blue and I wanted to see what I got if I crossed him to a partridge (welsummer). The calculator says you get blue and black chicks.

Yours is blue wheaton, so it would be different for you. I'd imagine you'd get pretty chicks though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom