The Olive-Egger thread!

I've been hatching these , Bielefelder rooster over crested cream legbar hen. Auto sexing olive eggers

Thought I'd let everyone know, Mypetchicken just updated their olive egger pullet availability, they've got 6 that can ship tomorrow. After shipping though they are about $20/each. I'm having trouble deciding if anyone in my area would buy the extras for such a price. My indecision might be your gain ď

This is how big my chicks are now below are the baby pics from earlier in the spring this is Blue Isbar

as far as 20 bucks a chick,
Ow! that is price-y, I have access to so many chicken friends' eggs/chicks. If it works for you though great. I am hatching some eggs for a gal friend, one is a mutt, one is legbar and one maran. Just hatched her 2 large EE chicks. fun.

this was after I hatched these 22 or so for myself. in 3 separate batches and bought some too (not shown). Re-homed some and kept some.

Frizzle NN/bantams

Gray eggers and Isbar/Blue andelusians

Isbar, lavender orpington mixes, the yellow is a pure SFH

I am done for the season though. below are the NN/frizzle bantams

I only kept the black one

below are the gray eggers they are also frizzle but diff gene than the bantams

JUst re-homed the white one, still have the blue one

but my babies are still growing but they are with the big hens now.

Thought I'd let everyone know, Mypetchicken just updated their olive egger pullet availability, they've got 6 that can ship tomorrow. After shipping though they are about $20/each. I'm having trouble deciding if anyone in my area would buy the extras for such a price. My indecision might be your gain ď

I've seen their prices, but why pay them when it is so easy to make your own olive eggers? And once you have your own parent stock, you can make as many as you want.
Two years ago when they first offered them I was really tempted (chicken math kicking in). but thankfully they were sold out quickly. I already had blue egg layers and was able to pick up some marans and welsumers elsewhere.
Plus when you get olive eggers from them, you know what some of the possibilities are, but don't know exactly what breeds went into the making of your chick.

The My Pet Chicken option would depend on a variety of factors. You are really paying for 3 things, -sexing, instant gratification, and convenience. It may be expensive, but by the time you get some eggs and hatch them, and separate and grow out the roosters, it doesn't seem like such a bad deal. It really depends on your set up and how much time you are willing to put in.

The My Pet Chicken option would depend on a variety of factors. You are really paying for 3 things, -sexing, instant gratification, and convenience. It may be expensive, but by the time you get some eggs and hatch them, and separate and grow out the roosters, it doesn't seem like such a bad deal. It really depends on your set up and how much time you are willing to put in.
Yeah, as someone who is temporarily borrowing an incubator (with extremely limited success so far with hatching, 3/29) someone who can't have a rooster to breed their own, and who doesn't have an excess of room to raise or house unneeded chickens, it was tempting.

So, I found 2 people who were willing to pay the price and take 2 chicks each, and I bought the little suckers! I've sold anything I hatch straight run for $10/each around here so I'm not losing money yet.

The MPC Olives arrived this morning! Is this little lady blue or splash, you think? She's got a fluffy yellowish belly and grey to charcoal everywhere else.

The MPC Olives arrived this morning! Is this little lady blue or splash, you think? She's got a fluffy yellowish belly and grey to charcoal everywhere else.
Probably blue. Splash has patches of color on white usually.

These are Arkansas Blue Egg Layers. The one in front is splash and the one in the back right is blue.

Can breeding an EE with a red sex link give me a colored egg? Thinking maybe what the dad EE was mixed with, it there's a possibility of an Olive Egg?
I have had two RSL eggs hatch, that were bred by an EE. One has yellow legs, one has green legs. I've already learned the hard way that those green legs don't mean anything, but most of time they have! Colored eggs from the hens!

Back
Top Bottom