The Olive-Egger thread!

I took this photo a while back because I was surprised by the color inside:

Here is my Olive egger, heir apparent, (his father had an untimely demise-coyote, most likely). He's an EE (light green) x BCM cross. The picture of chicks are BCM X EE (light grey) and either BCM x barred rock or black star.

Last edited:
@ buckabucka
took one I had hard boiled so it was very small piece of shell
my black sex-link that is laying has very small eggs still

tough membranes on her eggs actually. The egg looks olive but inner is blue
although the photo is coming up more brown ?

Last edited:

Interesting - nice olive color all the way through. Do you know the cross?

No, I can't be entirely sure. My original Olive egger was a cross between an EE roo and a Welsummer hen. She lays a grayish olive egg. The EE roo got replaced with an OE roo (Marans X Ameraucana) that I purchased elsewhere. I started crossing him with the gray-laying hen and got all kinds of green and olive shades. Most of my OEs have blue inside the shell. I thought all eggs were blue or white, with coating added to the outside, but this one has olive all the way through, - something I don't entirely understand...

No, I can't be entirely sure. My original Olive egger was a cross between an EE roo and a Welsummer hen. She lays a grayish olive egg. The EE roo got replaced with an OE roo (Marans X Ameraucana) that I purchased elsewhere. I started crossing him with the gray-laying hen and got all kinds of green and olive shades. Most of my OEs have blue inside the shell. I thought all eggs were blue or white, with coating added to the outside, but this one has olive all the way through, - something I don't entirely understand...
The sell is always blue or white. If the shell is porous, the brown will leak into the shell making the inside look green too.

I have a vague memory of posting about this some time ago. There can only be a blue or white egg shell. It is the way genetics works with chickens.

Last edited:
Did you peel the inner membrane off the one half of the inside?
The shell is always blue or white. If the shell is porous, the brown will leak into the shell making the inside look green too. I have a vague memory of posting about this some time ago. There can only be a blue or white egg shell. It is the way genetics works with chickens.
I was wondering if that was the cause.
Yes, I did peel the membrane off the inside on the left side of the photo (to reveal the olive color). You have a good memory Ron. I checked and it was three years ago that I posted this! Back then you suggested it could be a thin-shelled egg (as in, the inner blue she'll never formed). It didn't feel thin-shelled though, so I like the porous explanation better. Normally, I would not have noticed the color under the membrane, but at the time, I was peeling the membranes off all my used eggs and saving the shells for an egg-shell mosaic.

My first Olive Eggers, different Marans, BCM, Blue, Black, Splash and Cream Legbar. I don't see many pullets in this bunch. Poor Mama..... this is how they go to sleep every night!
smile.png
I was very wrong about this..... I have 7 pullets and 3 cockerels. Now why don't I ever get that kind of ratio on my BCMs.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom