The Olive-Egger thread!

Marans x Cream Legbar = olive eggs
Salmon Fav x Cream Legbar = blue-green eggs
Polish x Cream Legbar = light blue
Polish x Marans = brown
Polish x Salmon Fav = pink
Olive egger x Marans = half lay dark brown and half lay darker olive

There is a range of variations from each combination. Depending on the several genes that are involved in egg color, there is always a chance for a white or brown egg layer with these mixes, but chances are low. There are 13 known genes that determine the shade of brown that different breeds lay.

Good luck on your hatch!

Thank you so much and I really appreciate that list!

Hi everyone, I have followed this chat for a while now and finally I have colored eggs in my coop. My question is that I have a male Easter egger (maybe his true ameraucana but I don't trust the source ). He is with my rir and two females that one lays green eggs and the other blue. I just hatched some of this eggs. What can I expect from these babies?

Hi everyone, I have followed this chat for a while now and finally I have colored eggs in my coop. My question is that I have a male Easter egger (maybe his true ameraucana but I don't trust the source ). He is with my rir and two females that one lays green eggs and the other blue. I just hatched some of this eggs. What can I expect from these babies?
Welcome to group you would be better to ask a gal @junebuggena
she is a friend with allot of knowledge and I would hate to advise you wrong

These are the 3 chicks hatched from light brown eggs(Dominique or LF Cochin hens) without feathered feet. The Greys hatched from Copper Marans eggs(as well as a couple lighter chicks I haven't gotten pics of yet). Guess we will find out in a few months who lays green or olive, LOL

Marans x Cream Legbar = olive eggs
Salmon Fav x Cream Legbar = blue-green eggs
Polish x Cream Legbar = light blue
Polish x Marans = brown
Polish x Salmon Fav = pink
Olive egger x Marans = half lay dark brown and half lay darker olive

There is a range of variations from each combination. Depending on the several genes that are involved in egg color, there is always a chance for a white or brown egg layer with these mixes, but chances are low. There are 13 known genes that determine the shade of brown that different breeds lay.

Good luck on your hatch!

Last edited:
These are the 3 chicks hatched from light brown eggs(Dominique or LF Cochin hens) without feathered feet. The Greys hatched from Copper Marans eggs(as well as a couple lighter chicks I haven't gotten pics of yet). Guess we will find out in a few months who lays green or olive, LOL

Too cute! non-feathered feet means that they did not hatch from the Cochin eggs. That means their mom is the Dominique. Since the mom is barred (striped) and the dad is not, then the chicks with a light dot on the head are boys. If any of the light colored chicks are from the same crossing the dot will be difficult to see.

EDITED to add - since they were hatched in the Fall, don't be surprised if they are a little late starting to lay eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom