The predator in this neighborhood is the neighbor!

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
I live 1/2 a block away from my SO. His neighbor lady across the street got chickens and a rooster. (This lady is loud and screams night and day and you can hear every word she is saying to her kids, dog, husband, on the phone, everything! And it is not nice to put it mildly.) I could hear the rooster learning to get his 'crow' on and it was quite charming. (Our local code states only 3 hens and no roosters, but this lady has 5 and 1.) I figured their houses are really close together so there will be complaints for sure, but she came over the other day chasing her dog and I asked about her chickens. She told me the sad story about 1 neighbor coming over the fence when they were gone and broke the roosters neck. They found it in a garbage can and they were told the dog attacked it, but no signs of a fight or teeth marks or feathers missing. I just feel really bad for the rooster.

They can't complain about it because they are not allowed to have roosters. Sad...

Last edited:
That's pitiful!
sad.png
I know she couldn't legally keep him but that does not give her neighbor the right to kill her chicken. Killing someone else's livestock whether that livestock is legal to keep is still theft. Right is right and wrong is wrong and that is that, period!
hmm.png

Whoever broke the rooster neck I don't think was peaved at the rooster. That was retaliation of sorts against the hen that lays the egg 24 hours a day. Kinda like the girlfriend that keys an X boy friends car cause she's angry for what ever reason. The killer can't get at the woman so they go after some possession of hers. The rooster payed for the womans mouth. Still whether or not the rooster was allowed, trespassing is trespassing. Plus killing the rooster is animal cruelty any way you paint it. The killing had nothing to do with the rooster. It was retaliation against the human hen that lays an egg 24 hours a day.

actually, you can't really rule out dog either. usually there are feathers everywhere, but one good pounce from a large dog on a young rooster is easily a broken neck. Even a lucky grab and a quick shake and no more bird.

Either way, there isn't going to be any way to prove it.

I don't know if it is the way the houses are situated, but it is strange how you can literally hear everything from her house. I have no doubt the neighbor funneled his anger or irritation for the owner onto the rooster. There are others ways to handle situations such as this. I agree he had no right to do what he did and it will only serve to fuel the fire of animosity between them. I have known a couple of families where normal communication is yelling, not talking. That is another reason I live 1/2 a block away. My street is very quiet and the backyards are separated by over 1/2 acre. I also have a mastiff who is trained to guard the backyard and the chickens and she does it very well.

Their fence is at least 5' high and you can't rule out a dog 100%, but they leave their gate unlocked so I can put their dog in the backyard when he gets out. I don't know for sure if they contacted the police or not. I stay far away from drama/trauma. My SO's hearing is shot due to 25+ years of working a printing press so he can't hear much anyway. I live a block off the lake and there is a house down there that has a rooster and I can hear him just fine. I enjoy it. It is truly sad this had to happen, because the lady went door to door asking if anyone had seen her rooster. It they guys dog had done the dirty deed, I would think he would have been at her door when she got home, making amends of some sort. I need to remember not everybody thinks along those lines.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts. I felt so bad for the rooster and his girls. Have a good day all.

Quote:
I might have thought suspected a dog also, but the roo was found in the garbage can.

I've put dead birds in the garbage before. Owner goes after dog, sees that dog has killed the bird, picks it up and tosses it into the garbage.

I will admit that I wouldn't be surprised that the neighbor did it. It isn't that uncommon for people to kill other people's dogs because of barking. Not too long ago, a guy went into a neighbor's backyard and beat the dog to death with a rake. He had complained numerous times about the non-stop barking and finally just snapped. Nothing really surprises me about the things that people will do anymore - sicken YES, surprised? no
sad.png

If there is already bad blood, then it's not surprising that he wasn't waiting for her, even if it was the dog. That, and many people follow the motto of "least said, soonest mended" and hope that things will blow over.

Back
Top Bottom