The Rhodebar thread!

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to rhodebars and I was curious how my Rosco measures up. He's my absolute favorite rooster. He's a big sweet heart and gentleman :)

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to rhodebars and I was curious how my Rosco measures up. He's my absolute favorite rooster. He's a big sweet heart and gentleman :)

Sorry to inform you he is not of good type. He should not carry black in breast, which a lot do. And color should be more red and not yellowish .

This was the cock bird I used to work with my RB improvement plan. He has the color, but lacks the right body structure. This should give you what color should be

Sorry to inform you he is not of good type. He should not carry black in breast, which a lot do. And color should be more red and not yellowish .

This was the cock bird I used to work with my RB improvement plan. He has the color, but lacks the right body structure. This should give you what color should be

Thank you for your honesty. Is it possible to improve the color somehow in his offspring by using him or is that not possible. I'll try to get a couple pictures of my girls later and maybe another picture of Rosco for his body posture. What is the correct posture for a Rhodebar?

Here are some better pictures and some of the girls.

Rosco's typical stance.

Rosco with his lady Cleo. She's a favorite between my roos so she has to have the saddle on.

Front view of Cleo

These two are Roxy and Diva and they're roughly 9 weeks old, maybe 10. Please don't mind the little CCL cockerel in there. He wouldn't get out of the way lol.

Rosco's personality is stellar. If there's any way to improve the color of his offspring it would be worth the effort to pass on his temperament.

Here are some better pictures and some of the girls.

Rosco's typical stance.

Rosco with his lady Cleo. She's a favorite between my roos so she has to have the saddle on.

Front view of Cleo

These two are Roxy and Diva and they're roughly 9 weeks old, maybe 10. Please don't mind the little CCL cockerel in there. He wouldn't get out of the way lol.

Rosco's personality is stellar. If there's any way to improve the color of his offspring it would be worth the effort to pass on his temperament.

Since your birds came from me, I can give a little background for this strain. 2 generations back they originated from a single pair, my original pair are still with me, the roo is free-ranging on the farm and definitely the tamest one around. He eats out of my hand all the time, despite me never making any effort to tame him when he was in the breeding pen. His sons (the sires of your birds) are also extremely well mannered. They all have the black and will never be show quality without major outcrossing to show quality RIR's. They are however, 100% autosexing, the easiest breed to sex of any that I have. The hens are also extraordinary production layers, on par with commercial RIR's.

I really like these Rhodebars, and everyone that sees my breeders thinks the males are very handsome, despite (or maybe because of) the black. This year I sold a lot of Rhodebar chicks to first time chicken owners, and the feedback I have gotten is that they are almost always the favorite hen, pretty, personable, ridiculously tame and easy to manage. Pretty much the perfect backyard laying hen.

Since your birds came from me, I can give a little background for this strain. 2 generations back they originated from a single pair, my original pair are still with me, the roo is free-ranging on the farm and definitely the tamest one around. He eats out of my hand all the time, despite me never making any effort to tame him when he was in the breeding pen. His sons (the sires of your birds) are also extremely well mannered. They all have the black and will never be show quality without major outcrossing to show quality RIR's. They are however, 100% autosexing, the easiest breed to sex of any that I have. The hens are also extraordinary production layers, on par with commercial RIR's.

I really like these Rhodebars, and everyone that sees my breeders thinks the males are very handsome, despite (or maybe because of) the black. This year I sold a lot of Rhodebar chicks to first time chicken owners, and the feedback I have gotten is that they are almost always the favorite hen, pretty, personable, ridiculously tame and easy to manage. Pretty much the perfect backyard laying hen.

Thanks for the background on them :) I agree 100% that they are the most friendly and perfect backyard chickens (awesome eye candy too lol). I just like to know how close they are to standard just for personal reference. Someday, I may attempt an out crossing project. For now, auto sexing and awesome personality are perfect ;)

This is similar to what they should look like. Basically look at the SOP for RIR. Added auto sexing and barred! If you are propagating wrong genetic birds you are hindering the advancement of the breed. They have way to many faults and way to many people selling so called RB. I am being honest, Because I care about them and work hard to improve them. So do some others.
Yes they are an excellant breed, very docile , lay tons of eggs, and they look good. A great duel purpose birds. A great addition to a backyard flock. I give my culls away as back yard layers and do not call the RB . I say barred egg layers!

These are RB chicks that have been improved, but still have work to be done. These will be used to back cross again to RIR .( not production reds) they are a work in progress , cull all yellow chicks.. The above cockeral is single barred. Just showing how the stance should be.

Back
Top Bottom