The Rhodebar thread!

I am getting Rhodebar hens from Papas Poultry in California. I raise for eggs and have not been familiar with this breed.

They've been one of the most prolific egg layers we have had. Right up there with the australorps. Of course, leghorns could probably beat them, but I'm guessing that's about it.
Size has been great, too. Frequently jumbo size and the biggest egg we've ever gotten was from our RB's. 92 grams!!

Hi hope you are doing well... Breeding Rhodebars back to RIR's would give you females that carry a single copy of the barring gene (females of any breed only carry one copy) and males that would carry only one copy of the barring gene, males need two copy of this gene....as far as a link goes there are many if you do a search but here is one I like

http://www.harislau.info/rhodebar

have a good one

Hi hope you are doing well... Breeding Rhodebars back to RIR's would give you females that carry a single copy of the barring gene (females of any breed only carry one copy) and males that would carry only one copy of the barring gene, males need two copy of this gene....as far as a link goes there are many if you do a search but here is one I like

http://www.harislau.info/rhodebar

have a good one

Awesome!! That's one of the ones I was looking for. :)

Thanks a mil.

And I'm doing pretty well, myself. How have you been? How are your peeps?

HI.. I am good... peeps are growing :) Have some chicks and have some eggs in the incubator :)
wish you a great one

So I have accidentally created a Rhodebar. I incubated and hatched out 30 chicks from my mixed flock in January. I noticed one was super cool looking and I was like "WHAT IS THAT?! So upon my research, I figured out that I had myself a Rhodebar rooster or something similar. The rooster of the cross is a RIR, but I have no idea who the hen was. I'm guessing it's this lady, but I have no idea what breed she is (she was given to me). I would like to purposefully breed some more, but for genetics sake, can anyone help me figure out what breed or mix the hen is and how this little guy happened? I have other hens as well, black sex-links, a Gold Star, and an EE (if any of these could be the mama and not the pictured hen, let me know!)

Beautiful little chicken, but she doesn't look like a rhodebar. She looks like she's got bielefelder, and something else in her. In order to make a rhodebar, you have to follow special steps...and those steps require only a true rhodebar and pure rhode island red (show quality preferred). Nobody truly knows how the rhodebar was created by the popes. People have tried, but I heard they didn't get it exactly.
So I have accidentally created a Rhodebar. I incubated and hatched out 30 chicks from my mixed flock in January. I noticed one was super cool looking and I was like "WHAT IS THAT?! So upon my research, I figured out that I had myself a Rhodebar rooster or something similar. The rooster of the cross is a RIR, but I have no idea who the hen was. I'm guessing it's this lady, but I have no idea what breed she is (she was given to me). I would like to purposefully breed some more, but for genetics sake, can anyone help me figure out what breed or mix the hen is and how this little guy happened? I have other hens as well, black sex-links, a Gold Star, and an EE (if any of these could be the mama and not the pictured hen, let me know!)

it takes generations to get a Rhodebar or any other Autosexing Breed... it is easy to think other wise and easy to get females... the males are a different store... as much info online today as there is about Autosexing Breeds it is strange many question and lack of understanding still comes up.... still in itself is still breeding :) lol

it takes generations to get a Rhodebar or any other Autosexing Breed... it is easy to think other wise and easy to get females... the males are a different store... as much info online today as there is about Autosexing Breeds it is strange many question and lack of understanding still comes up.... still in itself is still breeding :) lol
Very true. I have recreated Welbars here in the US, but it took nearly 3 years of intensive work (5 generations). Rhodebars are harder to re-create from the parent breeds because RIR carry the wheaten gene (Welsummers do not) and that must be eliminated because it prevents easy sexing of the chicks. Since Wheaten is recessive, it can keep popping up many generations into the breeding unless you are careful to do test matings and determine which breeders are free of wheaten. It is far easier to start with a good autosexing line of Rhodebars than to try to create one. I applaud the work of those dedicated breeders who are outcrossing the imported Rhodebars with good lines of RIR. They have a tough job getting that right.

Back
Top Bottom