The Rhodebar thread!

Are you familiar with A.L Hagedroon? Try finding info on his breeding of Autosexing Breeds. He took a different approach to them.

Are you familiar with A.L Hagedroon? Try finding info on his breeding of Autosexing Breeds. He took a different approach to them.
Took a bit to find references to his method. Not really much new there, this is the technique I used when creating Welbars, and will continue to use, I just never read his work to give him credit. It was recommended to me by someone else without attribution, perhaps because it is rather obvious once the genetics of SL barring / autosexing are thoroughly understood.

Because Welbars don't need any additional "tweaking" to get the autosexing clear, I use homozygous males over the parent breed (Welsummer) hens, to get pullet chicks that are 100% welbars, but also 50% "pure" Welsummer. I realize that does not work with Rhodebars, Hampbars, Bielefelders, etc, but it works perfectly with Welbars.

I dont think Hagedroon did much twinking on his Rhodebars. His book" Animal Breeding" he states his male chicks were almost white, while females are normal looking to RIRs.......

Hello, from my research Rhodebar were created from a welbar X RIR. Welbar genetics were a barred rock and a welsummer cross. The welbar was then crossed to a RIR. NOT production reds!! That is one reason why we use "standard" , " heritage" , "true" RIR to improve the RB. So the first true RB had to have the brick shape body , dark red color , and horn color on beak and legs! Yes there was another person who created a " RB" but it is actually Redbar . RIR X barred rock. There is a lot of confusion with this. RIR are wheaten based. That is why they hatch out yellowish in production reds and yellowish red -reddish in standard , heritage, true RIR. The reason I am saying this is because of misinformation. RB chicks carry wildtype genetics from the welsummer . Barred rock do not. That is the reason we know welsummer was used to begin with . It carried over into the welbar and then into the RB. So did wheaten based also. That is why you can hatch production RB and have a slew of colored chicks. Wildtype, yellow , yellowish orange, faint wildtype , etc. if you are improving or not you should only use the most wildtype female chicks and the most prominent head spot dark colored male chick. The others need to be culled as backyard barred egg layers.. Nothing more. This will help the breed out tremulously. It is a pain staking process to improve the RB. But they are coming along slowly. Too many other genetics were thrown in mix through the years . I do not know of anyone who pain stakinly kept breeding RB . Most did to have a sexable RIR, which is what they are. And it worked, a sexable production red has been kept through the years and called RB. Until a few years ago when several of us decided to Improve the RB and cull out or suppress the unwanted genes. I am happy to see more and more people wanting to bring back the true RB and are working on them to do so. It is well worth it. Makes you smile at the improvements. And also get frustrated at the set backs!

We're in the livestock business here in Northeastern Oklahoma and I became interested in the Rhodebar some time ago due to the breed being autosexing. This past week I was very fortunate to purchase 8 pullets and a young rooster and I really like the looks of them.

Hello, from my research Rhodebar were created from a welbar X RIR. Welbar genetics were a barred rock and a welsummer cross. The welbar was then crossed to a RIR. NOT production reds!! That is one reason why we use "standard" , " heritage" , "true" RIR to improve the RB. So the first true RB had to have the brick shape body , dark red color , and horn color on beak and legs! Yes there was another person who created a " RB" but it is actually Redbar . RIR X barred rock. There is a lot of confusion with this. RIR are wheaten based. That is why they hatch out yellowish in production reds and yellowish red -reddish in standard , heritage, true RIR. The reason I am saying this is because of misinformation. RB chicks carry wildtype genetics from the welsummer . Barred rock do not. That is the reason we know welsummer was used to begin with . It carried over into the welbar and then into the RB. So did wheaten based also. That is why you can hatch production RB and have a slew of colored chicks. Wildtype, yellow , yellowish orange, faint wildtype , etc. if you are improving or not you should only use the most wildtype female chicks and the most prominent head spot dark colored male chick. The others need to be culled as backyard barred egg layers.. Nothing more. This will help the breed out tremulously. It is a pain staking process to improve the RB. But they are coming along slowly. Too many other genetics were thrown in mix through the years . I do not know of anyone who pain stakinly kept breeding RB . Most did to have a sexable RIR, which is what they are. And it worked, a sexable production red has been kept through the years and called RB. Until a few years ago when several of us decided to Improve the RB and cull out or suppress the unwanted genes. I am happy to see more and more people wanting to bring back the true RB and are working on them to do so. It is well worth it. Makes you smile at the improvements. And also get frustrated at the set backs!
Very interesting and that is why a RB roo crossed with a welsummer hen. The offspring that I have noticed are autosexable using the welsummer autosexing rule at birth to sell male or female.. I never made it to the F2 stage as they are only barnyard egg layers at that point.

I'm not sure this is the best place but I'm looking to expand my flock and am interested in Rhodebar. Does anyone have a source of eggs or chicks with decent genetics they could pm me?

Back
Top Bottom